Steps in a Car Accident Case
After you have received medical treatment for injuries sustained in an auto accident, you may be wondering what next?
The most important step after getting medical help, is protecting your legal interests by contacting an experienced personal injury law firm.
With the help of an attorney, you can ensure that the individuals responsible for your injuries are held accountable.
The Stages of a Car Accident Case
There are several stages to an auto accident case. Where your case begins and ends will depend entirely on how you were injured and who was responsible for your accident.
In general, the steps in a personal injury case involving an auto accident include:
- Hiring an attorney- establishing legal representation
- Filing the complaint- beginning the lawsuit
- Filing preliminary motions and responding- clarifying the case, the legal issues and the parties
- Discovery-gathering evidence and fact finding to determine what happened
- Settlement discussions- negotiating a settlement to avoid going trial and get compensation
- Trial- jury selection, opening arguments, witnesses, and closing arguments
- Judgment- collect jury award or appeal judgment
- Appeals- when either party is dissatisfied with the outcome of a trial, they may appeal
Lawsuits Beyond Car Accidents
While most people often think of personal injury cases, they think of accidents involving only cars, the fact is that personal injury cases can involve all types of vehicles and pedestrians.
A personal injury car accident case may arise out of any of the following scenarios:
Though the usual car, motorcycle, truck, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents are more common, attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. handle a wide variety of injury cases.
Regardless of the type of accident in which you were injured, our attorneys may be able to represent you.