Suffering a severe burn injury is a devastating and traumatic event. Not only do victims face a long recovery, but they’re also up against life-threatening complications. They must undergo endless treatments and complicated medical procedures such as skin grafting. If you or a loved one experienced such trauma, here’s more information from our Kansas City burn injury attorneys and reasons why you might consider a claim for compensation.
The Impact of Burn Injuries on Mental Health
Undergoing treatments and suffering incessant pain can take an enormous toll on an individual’s mental health, leaving them with the following psychological challenges to overcome.
Anxiety and Depression
According to a study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), it’s not uncommon for burn victims to display symptoms of anxiety and depression, including:
- Sadness, anxiousness, and irritability
- Feeling helpless and hopeless
- Feeling alone
- Difficulty sleeping or falling asleep
- Not wanting to interact with family and friends
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
People involved in or who witness a traumatic event, such as a catastrophic burn injury, often have PTSD. NCBI also reported that 30 percent of burn victims had PTSD. Symptoms associated with the condition include:
- Reliving the experience of how the burn injury occurred.
- Having a physical reaction to something that reminds them of the injury (heart pounding, sweating, or trouble breathing)
- Easily startled
- Avoiding situations that remind them of the accident.
- Not thinking or talking about the injury or the events that caused it
Being involved in an accident that caused a severe burn injury is difficult to endure. Not only can it cause permanent physical scarring, but it can also be emotionally taxing. Suffering a burn injury could mean years of medical treatments and other therapies, too—which can strain you and your family financially. When you’re ready to seek legal help for your injuries, choose an attorney with expertise in catastrophic injuries so you can be assured your compensation claim will be detailed and supported by all the evidence required to hold the negligent parties responsible.