Every parent worries about their children getting hurt and does what they can to prevent it from happening. Unfortunately, despite your best efforts, dangerous or defective children's products can put your kids at risk of serious injury. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, toy-related injuries send more than 200,000 children aged 14 and younger to the emergency room each year.
Children's product designers, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers have an obligation to ensure their items are safe or provide adequate warnings of potential risks of use. Was your child hurt by a defective or dangerous toy or children's product? You may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses and other losses. Peterson & Associates, P.C.'s award-winning Kansas City attorneys can help you file a lawsuit to hold the at-fault party accountable and recover the damages your child and your family deserve. Here's what you need to know.
Common Types of Product Liability Cases
Children's product liability cases are often based on the following types of negligence:
- Design defects. Problems with the design make the product dangerous, such as diapers or lotions with unsafe ingredients or toys containing lead.
- Manufacturing defects. These product defects occur during manufacturing and often involve improper construction, or poor quality or dangerous materials. For example, incorrectly wired electrical toys or products assembled with faulty screws that allow parts to detach.
- Marketing defects. Claims of misleading marketing tactics, such as misrepresenting the product's safety or benefits, can form the basis of product liability cases.
- Failure to warn. Manufacturers are legally obligated to warn consumers of any potential dangers associated with the use of their products. For instance, warning labels detailing age guidelines and choking hazards for toys with small pieces.
Pursuing a Recovery in a Kansas City Children's Product Liability Case
Recovering fair compensation in children's product liability cases can be challenging and time-consuming for Kansas City families. Fortunately, Peterson & Associates, P.C.'s exceptional attorneys can help. We'll investigate the accident, the product itself, and the records of your child's injuries to identify the liable parties and build a strong case.
Depending on the details of your claim, your recovery could include compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses, including the estimated cost of future care
- Wages lost while caring for your child's injuries
- Loss of your child's future earning potential
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional distress
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Permanent disability
- And other losses
Our Kansas City Children's Product Liability Lawyers Can Help You Take Legal Action
Sadly, the prevalence of online marketplaces makes it easier than ever for negligent parties to sell dangerous or defective children's products to unsuspecting parents.
If your child was injured due to a children's product designer, manufacturer, distributor, or retailer's negligence, you've come to the right place for legal representation. We've helped clients navigate the path to justice and recovery since 1993 and collected more than $500 million in settlements and jury verdicts for them in the process. Let us handle your claim from start to finish and relieve you of the day-to-day burdens of litigation so that you can focus on helping your child heal.
However, you must act quickly, as the law limits how long you have to take legal action. According to Mo. Ann. Stat. § 516.120, Missouri families have five years from the date of the injury to file a children's product liability lawsuit, but families in Kansas have just two years to file a claim, per K.S.A. 60-513(a)(4) and 60-3303(c). Don't delay legal action. Contact our highly skilled Kansas City product liability lawyers today.
Schedule a Consultation
When your child's injured, results matter. Peterson & Associates, P.C.'s proven record of success includes more than half a billion dollars collected for our injury clients. Don't let negligent parties get away with harming your child. Get the aggressive and effective representation your family deserves.
Complete the contact form to request a free initial consultation, and someone from our team will contact you to discuss your case.