Helicopter crashes typically occur due to pilot error or when the helicopter experiences a structural failure, hits an obstacle, or confronts severe weather conditions. When these accidents happen, they often result in serious injuries or even death.
When you or a loved one has been involved in a helicopter accident, you are likely left with many unanswered questions. For instance, “What caused the crash?” and “How can I collect damages for my loss?” Fortunately, our Kansas helicopter crash lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can provide you with an opportunity to get compensation.
Our attorneys at Peterson & Associates are well-versed in Kansas’ aviation law. We will do everything in our power to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We have handled several aviation cases in the past and are confident we can help you get justice for your losses.
Helicopter Crash Statistics in Kansas
There have been several helicopter accidents in Kansas over the years, and many of them have resulted in injuries or fatalities. Here are some statistics about helicopter crashes in the state:
- In 2018, there were a total of four helicopter crashes in Kansas, three of which were fatal.
- The deadliest helicopter crash in Kansas occurred in 2013, when a medical helicopter crashed near Wichita, killing all four people on board.
- Kansas is home to several airports and heliports, as well as a number of private airstrips.
- The majority of helicopter crashes in Kansas occur during take-off or landing.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a helicopter crash, it is important to seek experienced legal help. The dedicated Kansas helicopter crash lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you investigate the accident and fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your legal options.
Causes of Helicopter Crash
There are many potential causes of helicopter crashes, and it can be challenging to determine the cause of a particular crash without a thorough investigation. However, some common causes of aviation accidents include:
- Pilot error
- Mechanical failure
- Weather conditions
- Inadequate maintenance
- Improper training
If you or someone you love has been involved in a helicopter crash, it is important to speak with a Kansas personal injury lawyer who can help you investigate the cause of the crash and seek the compensation you deserve.
Common Injuries that Victims Suffer During a Helicopter Crash
A traumatic brain injury is one of the most common injuries that victims suffer during a helicopter crash. This can happen when the victim’s head strikes something inside the helicopter or if they are ejected from the aircraft.
Other common injuries include spinal cord injuries, broken bones, and internal bleeding. Victims of helicopter crashes often require extensive medical treatment and may be unable to return to work for an extended period.
In the event that you or someone you love has been injured in a helicopter crash, it is crucial to speak with an experienced Kansas personal injury lawyer at our Kansas personal injury law firm to help you get the compensation you deserve.
What are the Kansas Laws That Apply to Helicopter Crashes?
Kansas laws can impact your case in several ways, so it is vital to be familiar with them. Here are some of the fundamental Kansas laws that could come into play in a helicopter crash case:
- The Kansas Statutes Annotated contains the state’s general statutes. These statutes define negligence and set forth the basic rules for how negligence cases must be proven. This is important because most helicopter crash cases will be brought as negligence cases.
- The Kansas Administrative Regulations contain the regulations promulgated by state agencies. One crucial regulation for helicopter crash cases is the Kansas Aviation Regulations, which contain safety rules that apply to both private and commercial aviation operations in the state. Violations of these regulations can be used as evidence of negligence in a helicopter crash case.
- The Kansas Constitution contains many provisions that could come into play in a helicopter crash case. For example, the constitution establishes the right to a jury trial in civil cases, which would apply to a negligence case brought over a helicopter crash.
- The constitution also contains a provision known as the “open courts” clause that provides a right of access to the courts, which could be relevant in a case where helicopter crash victims are seeking discovery of evidence they say they need to prove negligence by the operator.
- Finally, if the government operated the helicopter, additional constitutional provisions would come into play. For example, if an injury occurred and the injured party wanted to sue the government for damages, then Kansas’ sovereign immunity provision may shield the government from liability. However, in certain circumstances, it is possible for victims who are harmed by state officials and employees to recover damages for their injuries without having to go through lengthy and expensive litigation against the state.
Who is Liable in a Helicopter Crash?
When it comes to helicopter crashes, there are a lot of potentially liable parties. The pilot, the helicopter company, the maintenance crew, and even the helicopter manufacturer could all be held liable in a crash.
So, who is actually responsible? That depends on several factors, including what caused the crash. If the crash were due to pilot error, the pilot would likely be liable. The manufacturer or maintenance crew could be held liable if the crash was due to a problem with the helicopter itself.
If the helicopter company was negligent in some way, they could also be held responsible. Ultimately, it will come down to an investigation of the crash to determine who is at fault.
How to Prove Liability in a Helicopter Crash Lawsuit
Proving liability can be a complex process, as there are many potential factors that could have contributed to the accident. However, an experienced Kansas helicopter crash lawyer can help you investigate the cause of the accident and build a strong case for compensation. Here are some key things to keep in mind when proving liability in a helicopter crash:
The first step is to identify the liable party. This might be the pilot, the owner of the helicopter, or another party if there was negligence involved. Once the liable party has been identified, it will be necessary to prove that they were at fault for the accident. This can be done by gathering evidence such as witness statements, video footage, and expert testimony.
Next, you will need to establish the damages you are entitled to. This may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Once again, gathering evidence will be crucial in proving your damages. Once all this information has been gathered, your Kansas helicopter crash lawyer will work with you to create a solid legal case and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Who Can File a Helicopter Crash Claim?
The first step in filing a claim is determining who is eligible to bring the claim. In most cases, the family members of those killed in the crash can file wrongful death lawsuits. The injured passengers can also file personal injury lawsuits. In some cases, the pilot may also have a claim against the helicopter manufacturer or other parties.
How Can I File a Helicopter Claim?
After being involved in a helicopter crash, it is normal to wonder who will be held responsible and how to go about filing a claim. First and foremost is to contact a qualified Kansas helicopter crash lawyer.
Your lawyer will help you determine who is liable for the crash and what type of compensation you may be entitled to. They will also guide you through the claims process and help you gather the evidence you need to support your case. The sooner you contact a lawyer, the better. They can help preserve evidence and ensure that your rights are protected.
Compensation Available to Helicopter Crash Victims in Kansas
While every case is different, there are some general categories of damages that may be available to victims of helicopter crashes. Economic damages are those that have a specific monetary value attached to them.
This can include things like medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. Non-economic damages are more difficult to quantify but can include things like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life. In some cases, punitive damages may also be available if the crash was caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness.
If you have been involved in a helicopter crash, it is essential to speak with an experienced Kansas helicopter crash lawyer to discuss your case and find out what types of compensation may be available to you.
What are the Benefits of Hiring a Helicopter Crash Lawyer?
After a sudden and traumatic helicopter crash, you may wonder if hiring a lawyer is worth it. The answer is yes! Here are some of the benefits of hiring a qualified helicopter accident attorney:
- Knowledge and Experience: One of the most significant benefits of hiring a lawyer is the knowledge and experience they have to navigate the complex legal system. They will know what evidence to look for, how to find witnesses, and how to build a strong case. With a lawyer, you may be able to get the total compensation you deserve.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with after an accident. They will often try to lowball you on your settlement offer or deny your claim altogether. A good lawyer will know how to deal with insurance companies and get you the maximum compensation possible.
- Help with Medical Bills: Another benefit of hiring a lawyer is that they can help you deal with your medical bills. If you have been seriously injured in a helicopter crash, you may have expensive medical bills you cannot afford. A lawyer can help you get the compensation you need for your medical treatment.
- Freedom to Deal with Your Injuries: When you hire a lawyer, you can deal with your injuries at your own pace. A lawyer will let you focus on getting better and let them worry about dealing with the insurance company. This is especially important if you are the primary breadwinner for your family and need to return to work as soon as possible.
How to Find the Right Helicopter Crash Lawyer in Kansas?
In the event that you are involved in a helicopter crash in Kansas, finding an experienced lawyer who can help you navigate the legal process and get the compensation you deserve is vital. Here are some tips on how to find the right lawyer for your case:
- Do your research. When looking for a lawyer, it is essential to do your research and make sure you are hiring someone with experience handling helicopter crash cases. You can start by asking family and friends for recommendations or searching online for lawyers specializing in this area of law.
- Meet with the lawyer. Once you have a few potential lawyers in mind, it is essential to meet with them to get a better sense of who they are and how they would handle your case. During the meeting, ask about their experience with helicopter crash cases, their success rate, and how they would approach your case specifically.
- Consider your budget. Hiring a lawyer can be expensive, so it is essential to consider your budget when making your decision. Be sure to ask about the lawyer’s fees upfront, so there are no surprises down the road.
- Get a written agreement. Once you have decided on a lawyer, make sure to get everything in writing. This should include the fees, the services you will receive, and what expenses are covered.
Questions to Ask a Helicopter Lawyer
An experienced helicopter accident attorney can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve. But how do you know if a lawyer is right for you? Here are some critical questions to ask when considering hiring a helicopter crash lawyer:
- How long have you been handling helicopter crash cases?
- What is your success rate in these types of cases?
- How much experience do you have with the specific type of helicopter crash I was involved in?
- What is your strategy for pursuing my case?
- How will you keep me updated on the progress of my case?
- What are your fees, and how are they structured?
- Do you have any references I can speak with?
- Do you believe in maintaining a positive attorney-client relationship?
Asking these questions can help you narrow down your options and find the right lawyer to represent you in your case.
FAQs About Helicopter Crash Cases in Kansas
Q: What are some common causes of helicopter crashes in Kansas?
A: There are many potential causes of helicopter crashes, but some of the most common include pilot error, mechanical failure, and bad weather.
Q: How do I know if I have a case against the party responsible for my crash?
A: To have a successful case against the party responsible for your crash, you will need to show that they were negligent in some way. This could involve proving that they did not properly maintain the helicopter or made a mistake while flying that led to the crash.
Q: What kind of compensation can I expect to receive if I win my case?
A: The amount of compensation you may receive will depend on your case’s specific facts and circumstances. However, in general, you may be able to recover damages for things like medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Q: Do I need a lawyer to help me with my case?
A: While you are not required to hire a lawyer to pursue a helicopter crash case, it is generally in your best interest to do so. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, gather evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf.
Contact a Kansas Helicopter Crash Lawyer
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a helicopter crash caused by someone else’s negligence, our Kansas helicopter crash lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you file a personal injury claim and ensure you get financial compensation for your injuries. Contact a Kansas helicopter crash lawyer by calling 816-888-8888 for a free case evaluation today.