You might be entitled to compensation if you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, Missouri. A pedestrian accident can involve any vehicle, including a bus or truck, on any street, highway, or public place. If you sustained injuries in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, it is crucial to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
If you’ve been injured in a Springfield car accident, our experienced Missouri pedestrian accident attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you recover the compensation you deserve. Contact our Springfield personal injury law office for a free case evaluation.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Our Springfield pedestrian accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you get the compensation and justice you deserve for your injuries. Contact our Springfield personal injury law office today for a free case evaluation.
What is a Pedestrian Accident?
A pedestrian accident is when a person is involved in an accident with a car, bus, bike, or truck. In many cases, pedestrians are disadvantaged when protecting themselves from vehicular accidents. This is due to the fact that they are not as protected as drivers.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need the help of a Springfield pedestrian accident lawyer to help you secure the financial compensation you need and the justice you deserve.
Types of Pedestrian Accidents
If you are involved in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, knowing the different types of pedestrian accidents is vital so you can best protect your rights.
Here are some of the most common types of pedestrian accidents:
- Automobile vs. Pedestrian: This type of accident occurs when a car hits a pedestrian. Pedestrians may be injured if they are hit by the side or front of a vehicle. If the pedestrian is hit from behind, they may be more seriously injured.
- Pedestrian vs. Bicycle: This type of accident occurs when a pedestrian is hit by a bicycle. If the cyclist does not have enough room to avoid hitting the pedestrian, they may still be responsible for any injuries. Bicycle riders must always obey traffic rules and regulations, including stopping at stop signs and red lights.
- Pedestrian vs. Train: This type of accident occurs when a train runs into a pedestrian crossing the tracks without looking first. Trains are mighty and can cause severe injuries to anyone they hit. If you are involved in this type of accident, you must speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
- Pedestrian vs. Animals: Many accidents involving pedestrians happen when animals get out of control and start running across the street without being controlled by their owners or workers who are in charge of them.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Springfield
Pedestrian accidents are common in Springfield and can occur for various reasons. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, it is crucial to seek legal help from a pedestrian accident attorney at Peterson & Associates, P.C. as soon as possible.
Here are some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Springfield:
- Inattention: A common cause of pedestrian accidents is inattention by the driver. Pedestrians may be struck by drivers not paying attention to their surroundings. This can include drivers who are texting or talking on their cell phones and drunk or distracted drivers.
- Careless Driving: A pedestrian may be struck by a car if the driver is carelessly operating their vehicle. This can include driving too fast, not paying attention to the traffic around them, or making careless turns.
- Sloppy Driving: Careless or reckless drivers often cause pedestrian accidents by driving too fast or carelessly. Pedestrian accidents often occur when a driver makes a sudden turn or jumps a curb without looking.
- Drunk Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol is one of Springfield, Missouri’s leading causes of pedestrian accidents. Drunk drivers often do not see or pay attention to their surroundings, which can lead to collisions with pedestrians.
- Poorly Maintained Roads: Poorly maintained roads can be dangerous for pedestrians and drivers. Potholes, ruts, and bumps can make it challenging to drive.
- Improperly Maintained Sidewalks and Curb Ramps: Poor sidewalks and ramps can lead to pedestrians being struck by cars when they enter traffic. This can happen if the sidewalk is poorly maintained, if the curb ramp is too high or steep, or if there is no guardrail on the side of the ramp.
- Failure to Use Proper Lane Positions: Many pedestrian accidents happen when drivers cross between lanes or change lanes while attempting to pass another vehicle. Drivers should be careful when choosing a lane position, ensuring they can safely see their blind spot and avoid causing a traffic incident.
Common Injuries Suffered in Pedestrian Accidents
Some common injuries pedestrians suffer in accidents include fractures, lacerations, and concussions. When an individual suffers these injuries due to a motorist’s careless, reckless, or negligent actions, they should contact a well-versed Springfield pedestrian accident attorney at Peterson & Associates, P.C. as quickly as possible.
- Fractures: Bones may fracture when someone is hit from behind or on the side. These fractures can cause significant pain and can require surgery to fix.
- Lacerations: A laceration is a cut on the skin that goes deep enough to injure the underlying tissue. Lacerations can be very painful and may require stitches to close them.
- Concussions: A concussion is a type of brain injury that can occur when someone is hit head-on by a car or falls downstairs. Symptoms of a concussion include vomiting, dizziness, and confusion.
- Head Injuries: Head Injuries may occur when someone is hit by a vehicle and slams their head on the pavement. These types of injuries can result in traumatic brain injuries and are often responsible for causing long-term or permanent disabilities.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Soft tissue injuries include cuts, bruises, and sprains. They usually heal quickly but can become infected if they are untreated.
What to Do After Being Involved in a Pedestrian Accident
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you should do a few things to protect your rights. The following are some of the most critical steps to take:
- Immediately call 911 and report the accident. This will help emergency responders locate and assist any victims involved in the crash who have sustained serious injuries.
- Take pictures or videos of the scene of the accident. This will help you document what happened and could be helpful in future legal proceedings.
- Write down all the accident details. Be sure to note who was driving, where the accident occurred, and any injuries or damage incurred. This information can be beneficial in court.
- Contact an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can review your case and provide advice on what to do next.
Pedestrian accidents are extremely complicated. A knowledgeable Springfield pedestrian accident attorney from Peterson & Associates, P.C. will ensure that you receive the compensation you need and the justice you deserve.
Who is at Fault in a Pedestrian Accident Case?
When it comes to pedestrian accidents, a number of people could be held liable. Depending on the accident’s circumstances, the person at fault may be the car’s driver, the pedestrian themselves, or someone else.
In general, the driver of a car is usually at fault in a pedestrian accident case. This is because they are responsible for ensuring that pedestrians are safe while walking on the road. If the driver fails to do so, they can be held liable for any injuries or damages that occur as a result.
If the driver was distracted or impaired by alcohol or drugs, they might also be liable for any injuries or damages resulting from their negligence.
Pedestrians are also usually at fault in pedestrian accidents if they are not careful. For example, pedestrians may be guilty of negligent walking if they walk out into traffic without looking both ways first.
Similarly, if a pedestrian is wearing inappropriate clothing that makes them vulnerable to being hit by a car, they may be at fault for their injuries.
How Can I File a Pedestrian Accident Claim in Springfield?
You may be entitled to compensation if you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, Missouri. To ensure that you receive the maximum possible settlement from the at-fault driver, it is important to consult with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. Here are some tips on how to file a pedestrian accident claim in Springfield.
The first step is to gather as much evidence as possible. This includes documenting the circumstances of the accident, speaking to witnesses, and retrieving any medical records related to your injury. It is also vital to gather statements from your insurance company and the at-fault driver. If possible, take photographs or videos of the scene of the accident.
If you have suffered serious injuries due to a pedestrian accident in Springfield, contact an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer at Peterson & Associates, P.C. as soon as possible. The sooner you start working with an attorney, the better your chances of successful compensation.
Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Claims in Missouri
The statute of limitations in Missouri for personal injury claims is five years. This means that if you file a personal injury claim after five years of the date of the incident, your lawsuit will be considered time-barred, and you will not be able to win compensation.
Compensation Available to Pedestrian Accident Victims
You may be entitled to compensation if you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, Missouri. A Springfield pedestrian accident lawyer can help you determine your rights and potential reward.
Compensation for a Springfield pedestrian accident may include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages due to injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, do not hesitate to contact a Springfield pedestrian accident lawyer. Your rights may depend on the specifics of your case.
Our Springfield pedestrian accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. have several years of experience handling personal injury cases in Missouri. We will ensure you get the justice and compensation you deserve for your injuries.
What are the Benefits of Working with a Springfield Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
There are a few reasons why you may want to consider working with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Springfield. First, these lawyers can provide expert advice on how best to protect your legal rights following a pedestrian accident.
Second, lawyers can help you obtain the maximum financial compensation possible for your injuries. They can also help you navigate the complex legal system and get the most favorable outcome for your case. Contact the experienced Springfield pedestrian accident attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. for a free consultation.
How to Find the Right Springfield Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, it is essential to consult with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible.
A pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options and can help you get the most compensation for your injuries. Here are some tips on how to find the right pedestrian accident lawyer in Springfield:
- Ask friends or family members if they know lawyers specializing in pedestrian accidents.
- Talk to individuals who have previously been in pedestrian accidents and see if they can refer you to an attorney who is well-versed in handling pedestrian accidents.
Our Springfield pedestrian accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. are ready to listen to your case and advise you on your available legal options. Contact our Springfield personal injury law office for a free consultation.
Contact a Springfield Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Springfield, contact an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer at Peterson & Associates, P.C. We can provide you with advice and help get you the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Springfield pedestrian accident attorney by calling 816-888-8888 for a free case evaluation.