The Psychological Challenges Burn Survivors Face
The Impact of Burn Injuries on Mental Health
Suffering a severe burn injury is a devastating and traumatic event. Not only do victims face a long recovery, but they are also up against life-threatening complications. They must undergo various treatments and medical procedures such as skin grafting.
Undergoing treatments and the day-to-day pain can take an enormous toll on their mental health, leaving them with the following psychological challenges to overcome.
Depression and Anxiety
According to a study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), it's not uncommon for burn victims to display symptoms of anxiety and depression, including:
- Sadness, anxiousness, and irritability
- Feeling helpless and hopeless
- Feeling alone
- Difficulty sleeping or falling asleep
- Not wanting to interact with family and friends
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
People involved in or who witness a traumatic event, such as sustaining a burn injury, often have PTSD. In the same study mentioned above, NCBI reports that 30% of burn victims had PTSD. Some common symptoms burn victims may display that can be associated with PTSD include:
- Reliving the experience of how the burn injury occurred.
- Having a physical reaction to something that reminds them of the injury (heart pounding, sweating, or trouble breathing).
- Easily startled or "jumpy."
- Avoiding situations that can remind them of the accident.
- Avoiding thinking or talking about the burn injury or the events that caused the injury to happen.
If You've Suffered a Burn Injury Peterson & Associates, P.C. Can Help
Being involved in an accident that caused a burn injury is difficult to endure. Not only can it cause permanent physical scarring, but it can also be emotionally taxing. Suffering a burn injury could mean years of medical treatments and other therapies — which can put financial strains on you and your family.
When an injury happens due to someone else's carelessness, our team of experienced personal injury lawyers is here to help you hold them accountable for their actions. We'll help you every step of the way to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Contact Peterson & Associates, P.C. at (816) 298-8708 and discuss your potential case with us today.