Peterson & Associates, P.C.

Our Blog

When to Seek Emergency Care for a Burn Injury

Categorized as Personal Injury

Knowing when to seek medical help for a burn injury is crucial for preventing serious consequences. The consequences could range from severe infections to death from shock. Recognizing the signs of a major burn injury is helpful for knowing when to call paramedics or visit the emergency room. If your burn injury was caused by a negligent third party, talk to a Kansas City personal injury lawyer to explore your legal options.

Minor Versus Major Burn Injuries

Differentiating between minor and major burn injuries means knowing when to look for emergency medical attention. Minor burn injuries tend to be smaller than the person’s hand and involve first or second-When to Seek Emergency Care for a Burn Injurydegree burns. Third-degree burns are always considered major burns that require emergency care, regardless of the burn size.

While minor burns may not be deemed as serious as major burns, medical treatment may still be needed. Minor burns can still become infected without proper care. Your local doctor can provide treatment recommendations for at-home care along with medications to prevent infection.

Major burn injuries tend to be larger than a person’s hand and at a third-degree burn level or greater. Any burns to the face, hands, joints, perineum, or genitals are deemed major. Chemical, inhalation, and electrical burns are also severe.

Third-degree burns are burns that damage through the outer layers of skin and run deeper than minor burns. These burns may appear swollen, scarred, blistered, and charred. Partial-thickness burns covering more than 10% of the body are also considered serious.

Signs of shock, like pale or cold skin or fainting, need to be taken seriously. Shock can be caused by pain or the intensity of the situation and can sometimes cause death. Infection signs also warrant immediate medical attention:

  • Redness
  • Swelling
  • Colored appearance
  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Increased pain

How Major Burns Are Treated

Major burns are treated in emergency rooms and hospitals. Antibiotics creams and medications are used to decrease chances of infection. Severe burns usually warrant strong pain medications to stabilize the patient and prevent shock. Intravenous fluids and blood pressure monitoring play a role in this.

Other major burn injury treatments depend on the level of the burn and where the burn is. Surgical skin grafts are often necessary for third-degree burns. Multiple surgeries might be required along with options for plastic surgery. Patients may struggle with complications like dehydration, edema, low blood pressure, pneumonia, and arrhythmia.

If your burns were caused by the negligence of someone else, consider contacting a Kansas City accident lawyer for help. A lawyer can help you file a lawsuit for significant compensation.

Kansas City Personal Injury Lawyer

Recovering from serious burn injuries can be a long, painful, and expensive process. You may not have to pay for your injury if someone was at fault. All you have to do is call Peterson and Associates P.C. today at (816) 298-8708 to talk to a Missouri auto accident attorney for a free consultation. Our Kansas City team of lawyers might be able to maximize your compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost income.