If you have lost a loved one due to someone’s careless, reckless, or negligent actions, you may be thinking about pursuing legal action.
However, before doing anything, it is important to know your rights and what steps you can take to get justice for yourself and your family. A Springfield wrongful death lawyer can help you understand your options and guide you through filing a claim.
If you have lost a loved one and need to file a wrongful death claim, our experienced Springfield wrongful death attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.
Wrongful death cases in Missouri are often complex. However, our wrongful death lawyers are well versed in Missouri law and can navigate the intricacies of your case with care, so your family has peace of mind and no post-trial surprises.
Contact our Springfield personal injury law office for a free consultation.
If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence in Springfield, Missouri, you may be entitled to compensation for your loss. Our Springfield wrongful death lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can ensure you get the justice and compensation you deserve for your loss. Contact our Springfield personal injury law office today for a free case evaluation.
What is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
When someone dies due to another person’s careless, reckless, or negligent actions, their loved ones may be able to sue for wrongful death. This can involve seeking damages for pain and suffering, loss of consortium (the companionship of a deceased loved one), and other financial losses.
To win a wrongful death case, legal experts advise family members to gather as much evidence as possible and to have an expert review any findings to support their claim.
If you or someone you know has been affected by a wrongful death, please do not hesitate to seek help. A skilled Springfield wrongful death lawyer can provide invaluable guidance and support through this difficult time.
Causes of Wrongful Deaths
There are several ways that someone can die due to a wrongful act, including:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Motor vehicle accidents are one of the most common causes of wrongful death, and they can occur for several reasons. A driver may be intoxicated or distracted, or the car itself may be defective. Motorcycle accidents are another common type of wrongful death caused by motor vehicles. If you have lost a loved one in this type of accident, you should contact an attorney immediately to find out if you have grounds for a lawsuit.
- Medical Malpractice: Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals are bound by ethical rules known as medical malpractice laws. When these professionals fail to meet these standards of care, they can be held liable for any resulting injuries or death. These accidents can also occur with other medical professionals such as anesthesiologists, radiologists, and paramedics.
- Faulty or Defective Medical Devices: Medical devices can be defective in many ways and cause serious injuries or death. If a medical device harmed your loved one, you may have grounds for a lawsuit against the manufacturer or the medical facility that used it.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: These accidents often happen on public property like sidewalks or streets. However, they can also occur on private property such as shopping malls and office buildings. If your loved one has been injured or killed in this accident, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit against whoever owns or maintains the property where it occurred.
- Dog Bites: Dog attacks are another severe cause of death involving animals on private property. If your family member was bitten by an aggressive dog on someone else’s property and died from their injuries, you may want to contact an attorney about filing a lawsuit.
- Dangerous Products: When a dangerous or defective product causes a death, the victim’s family may be eligible to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer.
If you have lost someone close to you in one of these tragic accidents, then you need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. You may not realize it yet, but legal rights were violated by the person or company who caused the accident that took your loved one’s life.
An experienced personal injury attorney will help explain those rights to you and guide you through holding those responsible accountable for their actions.
What to do After a Loved One’s Wrongful Death
If you have lost a loved one due to another person’s actions, you may feel overwhelmed and confused.
There is no wrong time to begin your legal process in seeking justice for your loved one, but know that the sooner you take action, the better your chances of success.
After a loved one dies due to the careless, reckless, or negligent actions of another person, you should:
- Grieve: Grieving is an important step in healing, and it is vital to allow yourself time to process what has happened. Remember that there is no right or wrong way to grieve; what matters is that you are comfortable with how you feel.
- Create a Support System: It’s essential to have people around you who can offer emotional support during this challenging time. Talk to your friends, family, or coworkers about how they’re doing and ask for their advice. This will help you feel less alone and help you cope with death.
- Seek Legal Help: If you believe that someone else was responsible for your loved one’s death, do not hesitate to seek legal help. An experienced Springfield wrongful death lawyer can help you explore your options and protect your rights.
- Reach Out to Family and Friends: It can be challenging to deal with the loss of a loved one, and it can be helpful to talk about what has happened with those close to them. Expressing your feelings will help reduce the shock and sadness that may still be lingering.
- Remember the Victims: While grieving, remember that others may also be struggling. It is crucial to support each other during this difficult time.
- Make a Memorial: If you want, you can create a memorial to honor your loved one. This could involve creating a memorial website, writing letters or poems, or arranging a memorial service.
Statute of Limitations on Wrongful Death Claims in Springfield
In Missouri, a wrongful death claim may be filed at any time after the decedent’s death, regardless of whether the decedent has been dead for a certain period.
In general, however, a wrongful death claim may not be filed more than three years after the decedent’s death.
Compensations Available to Wrongful Death Victims in Springfield
If your loved one passed away due to someone else’s negligence in Springfield, you might be entitled to compensation. Several types of compensation might be available to you, depending on the circumstances of your case.
If you were the spouse or former spouse of the victim, you may be able to receive financial damages. The amount of compensatory damages you are eligible to receive will depend on several factors, including the relationship between you and the victim, the circumstances around the death, and the economic status of both parties at the time of death.
If you were not married to the victim, you might be able to receive compensatory damages if you were financially dependent on them. Dependency can be established by demonstrating that the deceased had a significant role in supporting you financially or that you regularly relied on them for financial assistance.
If you were not financially dependent on the victim, but you were affected by their death, you may be able to receive compensatory damages. To qualify for these benefits, it is vital to show that your injuries were caused by someone else’s careless, reckless, or negligent actions. This includes negligence on the part of someone responsible for the victim’s care, such as a doctor, nurse, or hospice worker.
The following are some of the most common types of compensation available in wrongful death lawsuits:
- Economic losses include lost wages, funeral expenses, and inheritance.
- Non-economic losses include pain and suffering, grief, and mental anguish.
- Punitive damages to punish the responsible party and deter others from engaging in similar conduct.
- Attorney fees incurred during the legal process.
If you’re grieving the loss of a loved one in Springfield, it’s essential to know that you have rights and can seek help from an experienced personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can review your case and guide how to best proceed.
Benefits of Working with a Wrongful Death Lawyer
The pain can be unbearable when a family member or loved one loses a loved one in a tragic accident. If someone is responsible for that person’s death, they may be held legally liable.
A wrongful death lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Here are some of the benefits of working with a wrongful death lawyer:
- They know the law inside and out. A wrongful death lawyer has years of experience navigating the court system and knows exactly how to get you the best possible outcome.
- They have contacts in high places. The legal community is complex, and having connections can often mean getting better treatment for your case. A deceased loved one deserves nothing but the best legal representation available.
- They’ll fight for you. If you work with a wrongful death lawyer, they’ll work tirelessly to get their client the compensation they deserve.
How to Find the Right Wrongful Death Lawyer in Springfield
If the death of a loved one has tragically affected you, you know that the pain never truly goes away. You may constantly feel on edge, always waiting for the other shoe to drop. And if you are like most people, you probably don’t have much money to spare.
That’s why it’s so important to get help from the right wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible. Here are a few tips on how to find the right one:
- Do your research. The first step in finding the right wrongful death lawyer is researching. Many resources are available online, and you can also ask friends or family members for recommendations. Once you have identified a few potential candidates, you should take your research further and interview them. Ask about their experience with wrongful death cases and what type of legal services they offer. Also, ask about their fees and how much time they will spend on your case.
- Get a recommendation from someone you trust. If you can’t find any good recommendations online, try asking friends or family members for their opinion. They may have had personal experience with the lawyers they recommend or worked with them in the past.
- Check out the law office’s website. When looking at a firm’s website, you want to see if they have an online form to fill out and submit if you need to contact them. Be sure to review their “pro bono” or free services before spending any money on their fees.
- Ask questions. Talk with a paralegal about how much time will be spent on your case from start to finish. Be sure to ask how many cases they take on at a time and how much time they spend on each case.
- Check their online rating. Once you’ve decided who you want as an attorney, look up their rating online. Rating systems are subjective, but they will give you an idea of the level of expertise a lawyer has in a given area of law.
- Ask for references. Finally, if anything else gives you pause about the law firm or attorney, ask for references from previous clients or coworkers.
Contact a Springfield Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have been affected by the death of a loved one in Springfield, Missouri, you may want to speak with an experienced wrongful death lawyer.
Our team of lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you pursue legal action for the loss of your loved one. Contact a Springfield wrongful death lawyer at (816) 837-5011 for a free consultation.
What Our Clients Are Saying
We are proud to establish long standing relationships with our clients and we pride ourselves on offering quality, personalized, confident representation to all of our clients.
Team did a great job resolving my injury case- Daniel G.
They were instrumental in saving my life.- Kathy
I’m a witness to how wonderful they are as a law firm.- Larry
Peterson & Associates, P.C. heard me and made sure I was not taken advantage of.- Lee
I would definitely recommend Peterson & Associates- Leesa
They get the job done- Theresa
Choosing Our Team
Many people that have been injured in car accidents are unsure of where to start with a legal claim. Our team of highly trained lawyers can help to review the details of your crash and guide you through the process. Below, learn more about the attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C., their results, and contingency fees.