If you were injured in an accident, you might be able to file a personal injury claim to receive compensation for your injuries. Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating and overwhelming, especially when you’re trying to focus on getting better. Our Jackson County, MO, personal injury lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. will be able to communicate with insurance companies on your behalf and make sure that you receive the most compensation available for your claim.
Having a lawyer on your side will help take some of the stress off and allow you to focus on fully recovering. Contact our Jackson County personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation.
What is Personal Injury?
Personal injury is a legal term for an injury to the body or mind, and sometimes even emotional injuries. Injuries aren’t strictly limited to the physical body; they can also include psychological injuries, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). A personal injury can occur in many ways, from a car accident to a slip and fall accident.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, it’s crucial to speak to a personal injury lawyer to find out what compensation may be available to you. The attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. are experienced in handling personal injury cases. We’re here to help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact our Jefferson County personal injury lawyers for a free consultation today.
What is the Process of Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Jackson County?
After an accident, it is vital to reach out to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
The first step is to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys. We will evaluate your case and discuss your legal options during this meeting. If we believe you have a case, we will work with you to file a personal injury claim.
Our personal injury lawyers have decades of experience dealing with insurance companies, filing paperwork, and helping personal injury victims recover compensation. They know the ins and outs of the legal process and will be able to guide you every step of the way.
We will handle every aspect of your personal injury case, from filing the claim to negotiating a settlement. We understand that this is a difficult time for you. We will do everything we can to help you get back on your feet.
What are the Types of Compensation Available to Personal Injury Victims?
Victims of personal injury accidents can seek various types of compensation. Some of the compensation available for personal injury victims in Jackson County include:
- Lost Wages: One form of compensation available to personal injury victims in Jackson County is lost wages. This can happen when an injured person is unable to work or when the injuries cause them to be less productive at work (because of fatigue, for example).
- Loss of Consortium: Loss of consortium is a term for the suffering that a spouse feels as a result of their partner’s injuries sustained due to someone else’s negligence. When a person is injured in an accident, it can affect the rest of their life. They might have to miss work, which not only has an effect on their finances but also increases the burden on their family members and loved ones. In many cases, the injured party may be unable to fulfill the obligations and responsibilities expected from them, which causes significant distress for those who depend on them.
- Pain and Suffering: Pain and suffering is a non-economic damage that is awarded in addition to the actual losses incurred by the plaintiff. The amount awarded under this category is usually determined by a jury based on the circumstances surrounding the case. There are certain elements the plaintiff must prove to be entitled to receive this kind of compensation.
- Medical Expenses: Victims of personal injury in Jackson County can file for medical expenses. The party responsible for causing the injury must pay for all reasonable and necessary medical care, treatment, and services that a physician documents. Medical expenses may include hospital care, diagnostic tests, ambulance bills, physical therapy, and prescription medications.
- Funeral Expenses: One compensation payout available to personal injury victims in Jackson County is funeral expenses. Insurance companies pay funeral expenses to compensate the victim for the cost of a funeral, which can include many different expenses, including cremation or burial, and flowers, although this is not always required.
If you have been injured in an accident, it’s important to reach out to a personal injury lawyer to find out what compensation may be available to you. Contact our Jackson County personal injury lawyers to discuss your case now.
Causes of Personal Injury Accidents in Jackson County
There are several potential causes of personal injury accidents in Jackson County. Some of the most common causes include:
- Car Accidents: The Jackson County, Missouri Sheriff’s Department reports that car accidents are among the top five causes of personal injury. Over 3,000 people are injured anually in car accidents throughout Jackson County. Of those 3,000 injuries, about 20 people were fatally wounded. Some of the causes of car accidents in Jackson County include distracted driving, drunk driving, and bad weather. Car accidents can lead to spinal cord injuries and other severe disfigurements.
- Slip and Falls: Slip and fall accidents are a significant cause of personal injury accidents in Jackson County. In these cases, people are hurt when they slip or trip and fall on another person’s property. Any property owner aware of a dangerous condition can be held liable for injuries caused by their negligence.
- Truck Accidents: Truck accidents are often fatal and lead to severe injuries or even death. There are many causes of truck accidents, but one of the most common is driver fatigue. It is difficult for truck drivers to maintain a consistent work schedule, especially with the holidays approaching and time off for family activities. Another major cause of truck accidents is speeding. Truck drivers are constantly in a rush to get to their destination and often drive over the speed limit. The speed at which they drive also increases their chances of having an accident.
- Product Liability: Product liability refers to the legal responsibility of a manufacturer, distributor, or retailer for producing and selling a defective product. If a defective product has injured you, you may have a legal claim that allows you to recover compensation for your injuries. Examples include defective auto parts, including airbags and tires; defective machinery, industrial equipment, and farm equipment; defective medical devices, including pharmaceutical drugs and artificial joints; and defective children’s toys and juvenile products.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical malpractice is the name for any mistakes that result in a patient’s injury or death during a hospital visit.
- Dog Bites: One of the most common causes of personal injury accidents in Jackson county is dog bites. A victim can be severely injured and even die due to dog bites. Some of the factors contributing to these dog bites are that owners are unaware of their responsibilities in keeping their dogs under control and away from people and other animals. In addition, some owners fail to vaccinate their dogs against rabies, thus exposing people and other animals to rabies.
- Workplace Accidents: These accidents can result from a lack of safety precautions, maintenance, or training. Sometimes workplace injuries are caused by the negligence of another employee. Regardless of the cause, workplace injuries can be serious and potentially life-threatening.
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help You?
If you’ve sustained injuries in an accident, a personal injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve. A personal injury lawyer is a legal representative who helps clients recover monetary damages resulting from injuries sustained due to another’s negligence. If someone is responsible for your injuries, such as in a car accident or workplace mishap, a personal injury lawyer will help argue your case in court and help you recover all the compensation you deserve.
The best way to improve the quality of your life after a personal injury is to find an experienced personal injury attorney. A good law firm will help you understand your rights and fight to get appropriate compensation for your injuries. A personal injury lawyer will work with you to build a case and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. If necessary, they will take your case to court and fight for you until you receive a fair settlement. The process is complex and emotionally challenging and you need someone who will fight for you, not just your interests, as part of a business transaction.
If you’re looking for a personal injury lawyer in Jackson County MO, Peterson & Associates, P.C. is here to help. We have the knowledge and experience to help you get the compensation you deserve.
What are the Damages You Can Claim in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
The damages you can claim in a personal injury lawsuit vary depending on the injury you suffered. Some of the most common damages that are awarded in personal injury cases include:
- Medical Expenses: Medical expenses are one of the most common damages you can get in a personal injury lawsuit. If you’ve suffered an injury because of negligence, you are entitled to compensation for the costs you’ve incurred for your medical treatment. You can receive reimbursement for medications, medical equipment, physical therapy, home care, and other services related to your injury.
- Lost Wages: Some of the damages you can file for in a personal injury lawsuit are lost wages. When a physical or emotional disability results from an accident, you should be compensated for any wages you have lost because of the injury. A good example would be if you were struck by a car while walking down the street and broke your leg. You will most likely miss some time from work as you recover and should be compensated for that time out of work.
- Loss of Consortium: When you’re dealing with a personal injury in which your spouse or significant other has been injured and can no longer provide companionship and intimacy, it’s called loss of consortium. Sometimes, when one spouse or partner is injured and needs to recover, the other may have to take a leave of absence from their job to care for them, which can lead to loss of income and missed time at work.
- Pain and Suffering: There is no set amount you can recover for pain and suffering in an injury lawsuit. This will depend on many factors, such as the severity of your injuries, the quality of care you received during your recovery, and how much you were limited in your day-to-day life by your injuries. Pain is not just physical pain but also emotional pain, like the pain and suffering involved when someone loses the ability to take care of themselves or lose their independence entirely. You should be able to recover damages for any pain and suffering caused directly by your injuries. In addition to this, you may also be able to recover damages for any emotional stress or trauma caused by witnessing an accident or coming into contact with a dangerous situation.
If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, you might be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries. Contact our personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation to determine what damages may be available to you.
What to do After an Accident in Jackson County?
If you have been injured in an accident, it’s important to take the proper steps to protect your health and legal rights.
First and foremost, you should seek medical attention for your injuries. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, getting a check-up is important. Many injuries aren’t immediately apparent, and some can worsen if left untreated.
It’s also important to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. The attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you file a claim and negotiate for the compensation you deserve. We understand what you’re going through and are here to help. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Let Us Help You Get Justice
You may be entitled to compensation if you have been injured in an accident. The personal injury lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. are experienced in personal injury law and can help you get the compensation you deserve. We offer free consultations so you can learn more about your legal options. Contact a Jackson County personal injury attorney at (816) 888-888 to get started.