Imagine enjoying a peaceful day on the water when disaster strikes. A boat came out of nowhere and crashed into your personal watercraft, seriously injuring you and your loved ones. Now what?
If you’re in Kansas City or other cities in Kansas, the team at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help. Our Kansas boating accident attorneys have years of experience helping boat accident victims get the justice and compensation they deserve.
If you were injured in a boat accident caused by someone else’s negligence in Kansas, you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys will fight for you and help you get financial compensation for your injuries. Contact our Kansas personal injury law office today for a free case evaluation.
Causes of Boating Accidents in Kansas
There are many different factors that can contribute to a boating accident. Some of the most common causes of these incidents in Kansas include the following:
- Operator Negligence or Inexperience: One of the most common causes of boating accidents in Kansas is operator negligence or inexperience. This can be caused by a boat owner, captain, or any person who is operating the boat.
- Alcohol or Drug Use: Alcohol or drug use can also be a contributing factor in boating accidents. Alcohol is a depressant and can cause people to be less aware of their surroundings. This can make them unaware of the speed and distance at which they are going. In addition, alcohol may decrease a person’s ability to make good decisions and react quickly to sudden changes in the environment.
- Boat Design: Boat design can also play a role in boating accidents. Some boats have features that make them more dangerous than others, such as inadequate speed control systems and poor maneuverability.
- Reckless Operation: Reckless operations can also be a contributing factor to boating accidents. This is especially true if the operator is impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Faulty Equipment: The equipment on the boat can also cause a boating accident. The most common culprit is an out-of-date or defective navigation system. This can result in the operator needing a better understanding of where they are going and how to navigate safely.
- Navigational Errors: A failing navigation system is another cause of boating accidents. This includes failing to maintain the navigation system properly and operating the boat without an adequate navigation system for the area.
- Poor Boat Maintenance: Poor boat maintenance can also cause a boating accident. This includes regularly neglecting to check the boat for safety and other problems. It can also include not maintaining equipment properly and taking shortcuts when it comes to maintenance.
If you have been injured in a boating accident, it is crucial to speak with a qualified Kansas boating accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Common Injuries Suffered in a Boating Accident
You may be entitled to compensation if you’re injured in a boating accident. At Peterson & Associates, P.C., our team of experienced boating accident lawyers is dedicated to helping victims get the justice they deserve.
Common injuries suffered in a boating accident include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are also common in boating accidents. Head injuries can result in brain damage and even death. If a driver’s head is struck by a boat, the impact could cause a skull fracture, which can lead to bleeding inside the skull.
- Neck Injuries: Neck injuries are also common in boating accidents. In some cases, neck injuries may result in paralysis or death. A severe neck injury could also cause major internal bleeding and damage to the spinal cord.
- Back Injuries: Back injuries are among the most common types of injury in boating accidents, especially if there is contact with another object, such as another boat or jet ski. Back injuries often result from compression or stretching of the spine and may require surgery to repair damaged vertebrae.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries occur when the spinal cord is injured by a blunt force, such as in a boating accident. In the most severe cases, spinal cord injury can result in paralysis or death.
Other injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
What to Do After a Boat Accident in Kansas
If you’re involved in a boating accident, it’s important to take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. Here are a few things you should do after a boat accident:
- Get medical help. If you’ve been injured, seek medical attention immediately. Don’t try to treat your injuries yourself—leave that to the professionals.
- File a police report. Make sure you file a police report as soon as possible, even if you don’t think the accident was severe. This will help document what happened and could be important later on if you decide to file a lawsuit.
- Contact a boating accident lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and options after an accident and can represent you in court if needed.
Contact Peterson & Associates, P.C. for a free case evaluation if you’ve been involved in a boating accident. Our boating accident attorneys have years of experience helping boat accident victims in Kansas get justice and compensation for their injuries.
How to Prove Liability After a Boating Accident in Kansas
In the event of a boating accident, one of the most important things to do is prove liability. In order to do this, you’ll need to gather evidence and build a case. Here are a few tips on how to do that:
- Get medical records. If you are injured in a boat accident, you’ll need to get medical records from the doctor who treated you. You’ll also want to get copies of any reports from an accident reconstructionist and an expert witness, if applicable.
- Get witness statements. Witnesses can be a crucial part of your case because they can provide details about what happened and what your injuries were like. You may have to talk to your boat captain or other witnesses who were present at the time of the accident.
- Get photos of the accident scene and injuries. Take photos of any damage on your boat and any injuries resulting from the accident, such as bruises or broken bones. If possible, take video footage as well—this will help contain any evidence later on if you need to file a lawsuit.
- Seek damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You may be able to seek compensation for medical bills (including doctor’s bills) that resulted from your injuries, as well as lost wages that you missed while recovering from them. You may also be able to seek compensation for pain and suffering (such as physical scars) or emotional distress (such as post-traumatic stress disorder).
Our Kansas City boating accident attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. are Kansas’ most experienced boating accident attorneys. We have handled several boating accident cases across Kansas.
We’ll work with you to gather evidence and help build a strong case against the person responsible for causing your boating accident in Kansas so that you can receive financial compensation for your injuries. Contact our Kansas law office today for a free consultation to explore your legal options.
Statute of Limitations on Boat Accident Claims in Kansas
The statute of limitations on boat accident claims in Kansas is two years, so it’s important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible. At Peterson & Associates, P.C., our boating accident attorneys specialize in helping boat accident victims get justice and compensation for their injuries. We offer free case evaluations, so contact us today to find out how we can help you.
What are the Compensations Available to Boat Accident Victims in Kansas?
A skilled Kansas boating accident attorney can help you obtain compensation for the following:
- Lost Wages: Some people are unable to work for an extended period after a boat accident. If you cannot work, you may have the right to receive missed wages.
- Pain and Suffering: A boat accident can cause physical pain and suffering. You may be entitled to compensation if you have suffered physical injury due to a boat accident. You may also be entitled to damages for emotional suffering, such as anxiety and depression. You may also be entitled to pain and suffering for the loss of any anticipated benefit you would have enjoyed had you been able to work.
- Medical Expenses: You may also be entitled to medical expenses, such as bills and costs for treatment, such as psychological counseling. The amount you are entitled to depends on the facts of your case and your medical expenses, such as the cost of doctor visits and prescription medication.
- Property Damage: You may also be entitled to damages for property damage, such as the cost of repairing or replacing your boat.
- Lost Future Income: Lost future income is another essential part of a boating accident claim. You may need to show that you will never work again because of your injuries or because you were unable to return to work after your accident.
- Lost Enjoyment of Life: In some cases, boat accidents can cause severe injuries that affect a victim’s quality of life and happiness. A Kansas City boat accident attorney at Peterson & Associates, P.C., can help you show that your quality of life has been affected by your injuries and that you have been unable to return to work after your boating accident occurred.
- Emotional Distress: When your physical body is impacted by an accident, your emotions will likely be affected as well. You should seek compensation for emotional distress if you have experienced emotional distress due to your accident.
We understand that accidents can be financially and emotionally devastating, which is why we work hard to get our clients the best possible outcome. We’ll do everything we can to ensure you’re taken care of from start to finish. Contact our Kansas boating accident lawyers today for a free case evaluation.
How Can a Boating Accident Lawyer Help Me?
If you’ve been injured in a boating accident, a skilled boat accident lawyer can help you file a claim and get the compensation you deserve. Here are some of the ways a lawyer can help you:
- Assistance in understanding your legal rights and options after an accident.
- Investigate the accident and gather evidence to support your case.
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Represent you in court if necessary.
- Help you decide whether to accept a settlement offer.
- Help you make informed decisions.
- Handle all the paperwork involved in filing a claim.
You may be liable for compensation if you or a loved one has been injured in a boat crash in Kansas. Our Kansas personal injury lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
How to Find the Right Boat Accident Attorney for Your Case?
Finding the right boat accident attorney can be a difficult task. You need to consider several factors when making this decision. For example, you should look for an attorney who is experienced in the area of boat accidents.
You should also consider the attorney’s background and how long they have been practicing law. Finally, it would be best to look at the attorney’s reputation and how well-known they are in the area.
The best way to find the right attorney is to search online thoroughly. This will give you a good idea of what to expect from the attorney and how they will approach your case.
Questions to Ask a Boat Accident Attorney
In order to choose the right attorney for your case, you should ask some important questions. These include:
- What type of cases do you handle?
- Do you have any experience handling boat accident cases in Kansas?
- How do you plan to win my case?
- Do you have any previous clients I can contact?
- What are my legal options?
- What is your fee structure?
FAQs About Boat Accident Cases
Boat accident cases can be pretty confusing and overwhelming. Our attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. have gathered some of the most common questions victims of boating accidents in Kansas might have.
Q: What are my legal options in a boat accident case?
A: A boat accident case is a civil case. Therefore, the victim will need to file a lawsuit against the boat operator or the boat owner.
Q: How much time do I have to file my lawsuit?
A: Kansas law allows victims of boating accidents to file their lawsuits within two years of their injuries. However, there are exceptions that can extend this period. If you have suffered severe injuries, it may be worth your while to consult with an attorney immediately.
Q: What kind of compensation can I expect for my injuries?
A: In addition to medical expenses, which can be substantial depending on the severity of your injury, you may be entitled to additional monetary compensation for pain and suffering. This includes both physical and emotional pains caused by your injuries. In some cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages if the defendant was found guilty of willful or wanton negligence. Our attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C., will discuss what is available in your situation with you during our free consultation session.
Speak with a Kansas Boating Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been injured in a boating accident, you need to speak with a Kansas boating accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Peterson & Associates, P.C., our attorneys have years of experience helping boat accident victims get the justice and compensation they deserve.
Contact a Kansas boating accident lawyer by calling 816-888-8888 for a free case evaluation. We are ready to help you get justice.