If you have been injured in an accident, it is essential to understand your legal rights and options. Our experienced attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you seek the maximum amount of compensation available under the law. Contact our Lee’s Summit personal injury lawyer for a free consultation now.
Causes of Personal Injuries
Personal injuries can happen to anyone at any time. While some people may be more prone to personal injuries than others, various causes can lead to an injury. Here are some of the common causes of personal injuries in Lee’s Summit:
- Car Accidents: Thousands of car accidents happen daily in the United States. Most of these accidents are caused by driver error, as in many cases, drivers are not paying attention to the road and crash into other cars. Other factors that contribute to car accidents are drunk driving, speeding, and distracted driving.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcycle accidents are among the most common causes of personal injuries. Motorcycle accidents are more dangerous than car accidents. This is because motorcycles provide very little protection in the event of a crash. Unlike cars, motorcycles have no airbags or seatbelts to protect the rider. Motorcycles are also much smaller than cars and are often harder to see. This can lead to drivers failing to see the motorcycle and causing a collision.
- Work-Related Accidents: Work-related accidents are one of the leading causes of personal injuries in Lee’s Summit. In many cases, these accidents could have been prevented if the employer had taken the proper safety precautions. Common work-related accidents include falls, contact with dangerous machinery, and exposure to harmful chemicals. If you have been injured in a work-related accident, you must contact an experienced personal injury lawyer immediately.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical malpractice can take many different forms, from botched surgeries to incorrect prescriptions. In some cases, patients may not even realize they’ve been the victim of malpractice until it’s too late. If you or a loved one has suffered from medical malpractice, it’s crucial to speak to an attorney as soon as possible. The legal team at Peterson & Associates, P.C. is experienced in handling these cases and can help you recover financial compensation for the losses you’ve suffered.
- Defective Products: A defective product is unsafe when used as intended or does not meet the safety expectations of the public. Some common examples of defective products include cars with faulty brakes and children’s toys with small parts that can be swallowed. If you have been injured by a defective product, it is crucial to speak with an attorney who can help you file a lawsuit against the responsible party.
- Slip and Falls: One of the most common causes of personal injury is a slip and fall. This can happen for many reasons, such as when someone slips on a wet surface or trips on an obstacle in their path. Slip and falls can often occur in public places, such as malls, supermarkets, or offices. They can also happen at home. If you happen to slip and trip, make sure to take legal action as soon as possible. The quicker you take action, the more likely you will get the compensation you deserve.
- Truck Accidents: Large trucks can cause severe injuries in an accident. Due to their size and weight, they can quickly cause a pile-up on the road and lead to serious injury. Many truck accidents are caused by driver error, such as speeding, following too closely, or running a red light. Poor truck maintenance can also lead to accidents, as well as issues with the trailer.
If you or a loved one has been injured, you must speak with a personal injury attorney immediately. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Contact our attorneys at Peterson & P.C. to get the compensation and justice you deserve today.
What are the Most Common Types of Injuries Sustained in Personal Injury Cases?
People get injured every day in all sorts of ways. Some injuries are more common than others, and the most common injuries people sustain include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury: A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is one of the most common injuries that people sustain. This injury can be caused by a bump, blow or jolt to the head. It can also be caused by a penetrating head injury, such as a gunshot wound. Traumatic brain injury can lead to a wide range of serious symptoms, including headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, dizziness, blurred vision, and problems with memory, speech, and balance. It can also lead to long-term disabilities, such as seizures, coma, and even death.
- Spinal Cord Injury: A spinal cord injury can lead to serious health complications. The spinal cord carries messages from the brain to the rest of the body, controlling all the movements below the neck. A spinal cord injury can disrupt these messages, leading to movement problems, loss of sensation, and bladder problems. In some cases, a spinal cord injury can be life-changing, leading to permanent paralysis or even death.
- Broken Bones: One of the most common injuries that people sustain is a broken bone. A bone fracture can occur from a direct hit to the bone, a fall, or an accident. Symptoms of a broken bone can vary depending on the severity of the fracture but can often include swelling, bruising, and pain. If you think you may have a broken bone, it’s essential to seek medical attention right away. Treatment will vary depending on the fracture but often includes immobilization and rehabilitation.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: These injuries occur when an individual experiences trauma to their muscles, ligaments, or tendons. Soft tissue injuries can be excruciating and may take a long time to heal. In some cases, they may even require surgery. Some of the most common symptoms include swelling, bruising, and pain. If you have been injured and are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is vital to seek medical help as soon as possible. This will help ensure that you receive the proper treatment and allow you to recover as quickly as possible.
- Internal Organ Damage: One of the most serious injuries a person can sustain is internal organ damage. This can be caused by several things, such as blunt force trauma, a penetrating injury, or a burn. Internal organ damage can often go undetected, as the victim may not show obvious signs or symptoms. This is why it’s essential to seek medical attention if you’ve been injured, even if you don’t think you’re seriously hurt. Some of the most common organs that can be damaged include the liver, pancreas, bladder, and kidney.
If you’ve been injured due to the actions of another person, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. Our Lee’s Summit personal injury lawyers can help you file a claim and pursue justice. Contact our experienced attorneys to pursue justice now.
What are the Different Types of Compensation Available to Victims of Personal Injuries?
People who are injured in accidents often suffer both physically and financially. They may be unable to work, and medical bills can quickly add up. Fortunately, victims of personal injuries can recover damages for their losses. This includes money for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Some types of compensation available to victims of personal injuries in Lee’s Summit include:
- Medical Expenses: Victims of personal injuries may be able to recover medical expenses. If you are injured due to another person or entity’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover all of your medical expenses. This includes the cost of emergency room visits, hospital stays, surgery, physical therapy, and any other medical treatment you may need.
- Lost Income: Lost income is one of the common types of compensation available in personal injury cases. This includes both past and future income. To receive compensation for lost income, the victim must provide evidence of their employment and income.
- Emotional Distress: In addition to compensating you for your physical injuries, a personal injury settlement can also include damages for your emotional distress. Depending on the severity of your emotional distress, you may be eligible for damages that can help you recover and move on with your life. This can include money for therapy, medication, and other treatments. It can also include damages for your pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Property Damage: If your property was damaged due to someone else’s negligence, you might be able to recover compensation for your damages. This compensation can cover the cost of repair of your car and other properties that has been damaged.
- Punitive Damages: You may be able to claim punitive damages if the actions that led to your injury were particularly egregious. It is awarded to punish the defendant (the person that caused the injury) for misconduct. This helps to prevent similar actions in the future.
If you’ve been injured, you must speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to determine what types of compensation may be available to you. Contact our experienced Lee’s Summit personal injury lawyers to discuss your legal options today.
Wrongful Death Claim
In Missouri, many damages are available to families of those who have suffered a wrongful death. The law allows for the recovery of economic and non-economic damages, which can help provide some closure in the aftermath of such a devastating event.
Economic damages refer to the tangible losses that have been incurred as a result of the death, such as medical expenses, funeral costs, and lost wages. Non-economic damages, on the other hand, are more abstract and refer to things like pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and emotional distress. Both types of damages can be beneficial in terms of providing closure and justice for the victim’s family.
If someone you know has suffered a wrongful death, it is crucial to speak with an experienced attorney who can help you understand your rights and options. Contact our experienced Lee’s Summit personal injury attorneys to discuss your specific personal injury case and learn more about your legal rights and options.
Let our Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys Fight for You
No one ever expects to be injured in an accident, but when it happens, the victims are often left with physical and emotional pain. In addition to the physical and emotional tolls, accident victims may also face significant financial burdens. At Peterson & Associates, we know this is a difficult time for you, and we will do everything in our power to make the process as easy as possible. We’re here for you and want to ensure that you receive the justice you deserve.
If you have been injured, you must speak to an attorney who can help you understand your rights. Our personal injury lawyers can help you file a claim and fight for your rights. We can help you get the money you need to cover your medical expenses and other costs related to your accident. We have a proven record of success. We are not afraid to take on big insurance companies. We will fight for you every step of the way. We have a team of seasoned personal injury lawyers who know how to get the job done.
Our legal team at Peterson & Associates, P.C. has the experience and resources to handle even the most complex cases. We will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve. We’ll work with you to get the best possible outcome for your case. We offer free case evaluations. Contact our Lee’s Summit personal injury lawyers today by calling 816-888-8888.