In 1993, David M. Peterson founded Peterson & Associates, P.C., a highly aggressive and successful plaintiffs-only mass tort and personal injury law firm that handles all types of catastrophic personal injury cases, with an emphasis in the areas of pharmaceutical and medical device litigation. He has obtained well in excess of one million dollars in successful judgments and verdicts. He has collected over $400 million on behalf of his clients.
Mr. Peterson practices from coast to coast and has handled or been involved in cases in over 20 states. Mr. Peterson has been part of many successful mass tort and Multidistrict Court (MDL) litigations, successfully resolving thousands of cases against pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers.
He was a partner at the international litigation defense firm Shook, Hardy & Bacon, where he practiced law for almost ten years. Prior to founding Peterson & Associates, P.C., he defended major corporations against catastrophic complex product liability claims, knowing how major corporations defend themselves creates a tremendous advantage in preparing for trial and shaping plaintiffs’ cases to greatly enhance success at trial.
Mr. Peterson has been voted by his peers to be included in Missouri and Kansas SuperLawyers® for the last five years in a row. His peers have also rated him as an A-V lawyer, the highest rating possible as awarded by Martindale-Hubbell.
Memberships & Accolades
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2014, 2016 - 2022
- A-V lawyer
- Skelton Advocacy Award – Best Trial Attorney
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Evidence, Contracts, Criminal Law I, Criminal Law II, Constitutional Law
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Leaders Forum of the American Association for Justice
- Missouri Association of Trial Lawyers
- Missouri Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- The National Trial Lawyers
- Cornell University Law School
- "Stacking of Uninsured Motorist Coverage," 49 Mo. L. Rev. 571 (1984)
Admitted to Bar
- Missouri Bar
- Minnesota Bar
- University of Missouri-Columbia, 1981, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Tau Beta Pi and Pi Tau Sigma, Member
- University of Missouri Columbia, 1984, Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Missouri Law Review, Member
- National Moot Court Team, Member
- Graduated sixth in class
- University of Missouri Law School Alumni
- Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee for the California Coordinated Ortho-Evra litigation
- Represents hundreds of clients involved in other mass tort litigation, including:
- Medtronic Sprint Fidelis
- Kugel Mesh Patch