If you’ve been injured in a bike accident caused by someone else’s negligence in any of the cities in Kansas, you need to speak with a Kansas bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Peterson & Associates, P.C, we have several years of experience handling bicycle accident claims across Kansas City, Overland Park, and other cities in Kansas. Our bicycle accident lawyers can help you get the compensation and justice you deserve for your injuries.
Contact our bicycle accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C., for a free case evaluation today. We will help you understand your legal rights.
What are the Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
There are many causes of bike accidents. Some of the most common ones include:
- Car and Truck Drivers Not Seeing Bicyclists: This is a significant cause of bicycle accidents. Unfortunately, many drivers do not see bicyclists when they are on the roadway.
- Bicyclists Hitting Potholes: Bicyclists are also responsible for hitting potholes that cause them to lose control of their bikes. These potholes can cause serious injury to bicyclists as well as other motorists and pedestrians.
- Bicyclists Not Paying Attention: Many bicycle accidents are caused by bicyclists who fail to pay attention to their surroundings. If you are hit from behind, you may not have time to react and avoid the collision with another vehicle or person.
- Careless Bicyclists: Bicyclists who are careless in how they ride their bikes can cause severe injury or even death to other motorists and pedestrians. If you are not a careful rider, you must take extra precautions to avoid getting into a bicycle accident.
- Bicyclists Being Hit by Opening Car Doors: Many bicyclists are struck by vehicles that open their doors in front of them. This can cause serious injury to a bicyclist as well as a motorist or pedestrian.
- Poor Visibility: If a cyclist is not wearing sufficient safety gear and is not visible from a distance, their chances of being hit by another vehicle increase. This can cause severe injury or even death for cyclists.
Common Injuries Suffered During Bicycle Accidents
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be wondering what your legal options are. The good news is that you may be able to file a lawsuit and receive compensation for your injuries.
The most common injuries suffered in bicycle accidents include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are the most common injuries suffered in bicycle accidents. This can happen if the bicyclist is hit by a car or other vehicle and strike their head against the vehicle, ground, or other objects. Head injuries can occur with or without head protection.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones are also quite common in bicycle accidents. Certain bones may break or be damaged due to impact with other objects on the ground or inadequate protection.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are some of the most severe injuries. In certain types of accidents, cyclists may be thrown off their bikes and hit the ground on their backs. The spine can be broken or damaged when this happens, causing severe injury.
- Facial Injuries: Bicycle accidents can cause severe facial injuries. This can happen when a cyclist is struck by a vehicle, causing them to hit their face on either the vehicle or another object, such as the ground.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Traumatic brain injuries are a common result of serious bicycle accidents. The cyclist may be thrown off their bike and hit their head on the ground or the vehicle that struck them. When this happens, the brain can be easily damaged or injured, causing severe injury.
- Permanent Disfigurement: A bike crash can leave permanent disfigurement on the body. You may be entitled to compensation for any permanent disfigurement resulting from the crash that caused your injuries.
- Loss of Limbs: A bicycle accident can cause amputations or the loss of limbs. If you are hit by another vehicle while riding your bike and suffer a loss of one or more limbs, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages suffered as a result of your injuries.
- Cuts and Bruises: Cuts, bruises, lacerations, and or other types of skin injuries are commonly suffered by those involved in bicycle accidents. These injuries generally occur when a cyclist is struck by another vehicle and thrown to the ground, causing injuries to the skin tissue.
Defining a Bicycle Accident Case
A bicycle accident case is a type of personal injury case that involves a person who is injured in a bicycle accident. Bicycle accident claims are usually filed against the owner or operator of the vehicle that caused the accident.
If you have suffered bicycle accident injuries, you may be entitled to receive compensation for medical expenses and lost wages. You may also be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, disfigurement, and other damages from your injuries. Contact an experienced Kansas bicycle accident lawyer at Peterson & Associates, P.C., for a free case evaluation.
Statute of Limitations on Bicycle Accident Claims in Kansas
If you’re a cyclist who’s been injured in an accident, it’s essential to know your legal rights. In Kansas, the statute of limitations on bicycle accident claims is two years from the date of the accident. This means that you have two years to file a lawsuit against the person or organization responsible for your injuries.
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, it’s crucial to contact a bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you start working on your case, the stronger your case will be. Peterson & Associates, P.C has several years of experience handling personal injury claims in Kansas. We know what it takes to get you the compensation and justice you deserve. Contact us for a free case evaluation.
Compensations Available to Bicycle Accident Victims in Kansas
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in Kansas, you may be wondering what kind of compensation you can expect to receive. In general, there are three types of damages that can be awarded in a personal injury case: economic, non-economic, and punitive.
Economic Damages: Economic damages are those that can be quantified in terms of money. They include:
- Medical Expenses: This covers the money you spend on medical care and treatment for your injuries sustained in the accident. They include money spent on medications, doctor’s visits, tests, surgeries, and more.
- Lost Wages: This includes the lost earnings from work that you would have received had you not been injured.
- Property Damage: This covers the cost of repair or replacement of any property damaged during the accident.
Non-Economic Damages: Non-economic damages are those that are more difficult to quantify. They include:
- Pain and Suffering: This compensation covers the emotional distress, anguish, and turmoil you suffered due to your injuries.
- Loss of Consortium: This includes loss of companionship and emotional support from a loved one who’s been injured or killed in a bicycle accident. This includes loss of care, attention, affection, guidance, and counsel.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: This covers any losses you experienced as a result of your injuries, including loss of enjoyment from social activities, hobbies, travel, and other activities.
Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are awarded in cases where the defendant’s actions were particularly egregious or reckless and are intended to punish the defendant and deter future similar behavior.
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash, our Kansas bicycle accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. would be happy to review your case and tell you what damages you may be eligible for. Contact our Kansas personal injury law office today for a free consultation. We will help you explore your legal options.
Who is at Fault in a Kansas Bicycle Accident?
The answer can be complicated when it comes to who is at fault in a Kansas bicycle accident. In general, the driver of a car is at fault when they hit a bicyclist, but several factors can complicate things. For example, they may be partially at fault if the cyclist was riding against traffic or ran a red light.
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, it’s essential to speak with a lawyer who can help you determine who is at fault and help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact Peterson & Associates, P.C today for a free case evaluation.
What are the Benefits of Hiring a Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, it’s important to contact a lawyer right away. A good bicycle accident lawyer will be able to help you get the compensation and justice you deserve for your injuries.
Here are some of the benefits of hiring a bicycle accident lawyer:
- They will handle all of the paperwork and negotiations for you.
- They will know the law inside out and be able to build a strong case for you.
- They will get you the best possible settlement or verdict.
- They will handle all communication with the insurance company.
- They will make sure you are taken care of medically and financially.
- They will make sure you get the maximum amount of money possible.
- They will make sure you’re taken care of throughout the entire process.
A bicycle accident lawyer is your best chance to receive justice and fair compensation for your injuries. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, contact a bicycle accident lawyer at our law firm for a free case evaluation today.
How to Find the Right Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be wondering how to find the right lawyer in Kansas. Here are a few tips:
First, look for a lawyer with experience handling bicycle accident cases in Kansas. They will be familiar with the laws in Kansas and how to represent your case best.
Second, ensure the lawyer is willing to take your case on a contingency basis. This means they won’t charge you any fees unless they win or settle your case.
Finally, be sure to ask the lawyer for references from past clients. This will give you a better idea of their experience and what to expect from working with them.
Questions to Ask a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When you’re looking for a lawyer to represent you after a bicycle accident, it’s essential to ask the right questions. Here are a few questions to ask:
- How many years of experience do you have with bicycle accident cases?
- What is your success rate with these types of cases?
- Do you have any testimonials or references from past clients?
- How do you plan to approach my case?
- What are my chances of winning, and what could the settlement amount be?
- How much will I have to pay in legal fees?
- Will I need to go to court?
- What types of damages can I sue for?
- Can you help me get medical treatment and expenses reimbursed?
- How long will the case take to resolve?
FAQs About Bicycle Accident Cases
Bicycle accident cases can be quite confusing. Our attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. have gathered some of the most common questions about bicycle accident cases to help you get started.
Q: What should I do if I’m in a bicycle accident?
A: If you’re in a bicycle accident, the most important thing is to stay safe. Check yourself for injuries and seek medical attention if necessary. Once you’re safe, you should gather evidence from the accident scene. This includes taking pictures of the scene, getting the contact information of any witnesses, and collecting any physical evidence (like broken bike parts).
Q: Can I file a lawsuit if I’m injured in a bicycle accident?
A: Yes, you can file a lawsuit if you’re injured in a bicycle accident. However, it’s important to note that each case is unique, and there may be factors that affect your ability to sue. That’s why it’s essential to speak with a lawyer who can advise you on your specific case.
Q: How much can I sue for if I’m injured in a bicycle accident?
A: If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you might be able to sue for damages. These damages include medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering. The amount of your claim will be based on the facts of your case and whether or not you’re eligible for compensation.
Q: What types of damages can I sue for?
A: You may be able to sue for the following damages if you’re injured in a bicycle accident: medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
Q: Can I sue my insurance company if they won’t cover my medical expenses?
A: Yes, you can.
Q: What should I do if my health insurance company won’t cover my medical expenses?
A: If your health insurance company refuses to pay for all or part of your medical bills, you should contact an attorney immediately. Your attorney can help make sure that the health insurance company pays what is rightfully yours.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident in Overland Park, Wichita, Kansas City, or other cities in Kansas, our attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can ensure you get justice and compensation for your injuries. Contact our personal injury law firm today for a free case evaluation.
Contact a Kansas City Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Were you or a loved one injured in a bicycle accident in Kansas? Our personal injury lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you get the compensation and justice you deserve. We have several years of experience in handling bicycle accident cases in Kansas. We will help you get the compensation and justice you deserve for your injuries.
Contact a Kansas City bicycle accident lawyer at our law firm by calling 816-888-8888 today for a free case evaluation.