According to the Kansas Department of Transportation, there are aproximately 1,000 pedestrian crashes in Kansas every year.
These alarming statistics show that pedestrian accidents are a serious problem in Kansas. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Kansas, it is crucial to contact a skilled personal injury attorney as soon as possible. They will be able to help you file a claim and get the compensation you deserve.
Our Kansas pedestrian accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you file a pedestrian accident claim and ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our Kansas personal injury law firm has decades of experience dealing with insurance companies and filing pedestrian accident claims. We know what it takes to get the best results for our clients and help them recover compensation for their injuries.
Don’t hesitate to contact us for a free consultation. We’ll evaluate your claim and let you know how we can help.
What is a Pedestrian Accident Case?
A pedestrian accident case is a personal injury claim that involves a pedestrian who was struck by a car, motorcycle, truck, or bicycle and received injuries. The claim can include expenses for medical costs and pain and suffering, compensation for lost wages, lost earning capacity, and other damages.
The Kansas pedestrian accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. handle cases involving injuries to both pedestrians and motorists. Our law firm will carefully examine the facts of your case to determine who is responsible for your injuries and whether you have a viable case for compensation.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation if you or someone you know has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Kansas.
What are the Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Kansas?
When pedestrians are struck by vehicles, they are at a significant risk of catastrophic injury or death.
The common causes of pedestrian accidents in Kansas include:
- Speeding: Speeding is one of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents. A recent study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that speeding is the leading cause of pedestrian fatalities and injuries. When drivers speed, they put themselves and other road users at risk. They may be distracted by their phones, which can interfere with their ability to see and react to other road users. They may also be tired or inattentive and may not be paying attention to the road in front of them.
- Running Red Lights: Another common cause of pedestrian accidents is running red lights. When drivers run red lights, they put themselves and other road users at risk by failing to yield the right of way to pedestrians and other road users. This can result in serious injury or death.
- Driving While Impaired: Impaired driving is another common cause of pedestrian accidents in Kansas. When a driver has consumed alcohol, drugs, or both and gets behind the wheel, it puts everyone on the road at risk.
- Failing To Yield To Pedestrians: Many people do not realize that they must yield when driving near pedestrians who are crossing streets without using crosswalks or signals for pedestrians who use them.
- Poor Lighting: Poor lighting is another common cause of pedestrian accidents in Kansas. This is due to several reasons, such as darkness, lack of streetlights, and poor visibility on roads at night. When there is poor lighting on the streets, pedestrians can get hit by cars or buses even though they are visible to drivers.
- Improper Use Of Headlights: Many drivers do not use their headlights when it is dark out because they do not want to draw attention from potential burglars or thieves who could be lurking about on the streets. If you were involved in a pedestrian accident due to another driver’s failure to use their headlights, you might be able to seek compensation for your injuries. A Kansas pedestrian accident lawyer will help you understand your rights and how the law works so that you can make informed decisions about your options and what kind of compensation you may be eligible for.
Typical Injuries That Occur During a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accidents can cause various injuries, some of which are more common than others. Some of the most common injuries that occur during a pedestrian accident include:
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you should seek medical attention immediately. You will also want to speak with a Kansas pedestrian accident lawyer to learn more about your legal options. Our Kansas pedestrian accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you understand your legal options and ensure you get justice for your injuries. Contact our Kansas law office for a free case evaluation.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Kansas
If you’re a pedestrian who has been involved in a traffic accident in Kansas, it’s important to know what to do next. Here are a few steps to follow:
- Seek medical attention. Even if you think you’re not injured, it’s important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, like concussions, may not be immediately apparent.
- Report the accident to the police. File a report at the nearest police station and get a copy.
- Contact an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. The lawyers at Peterson & Associates can help you understand your legal rights and guide you through filing a claim.
- Keep track of your medical bills and other expenses related to the accident. Be sure to gather any hospital or therapy bills. These can be reimbursed as part of your settlement or damages award.
- Don’t speak to the other driver’s insurance company without an attorney present. Insurance companies are notorious for trying to settle claims quickly and for as little money as possible. Let your lawyer handle all negotiations with the insurance company.
Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Cases in Kansas
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, it’s important to know your rights and what steps to take next. In Kansas, the statute of limitations on personal injury cases is two years, so it’s important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible.
At Peterson & Associates, our Kansas pedestrian accident lawyers can help you get the compensation and justice you deserve for your injuries. We understand how difficult it can be to cope with an accident, and we’re here to help. Contact our Kansas personal injury law firm for a free consultation. We’ll review your case and let you know what we can do to help.
Compensation Available to Pedestrian Accident Victims
If you’re the victim of a pedestrian accident, you may be wondering what kind of compensation you’re eligible for. Here are some of the most common types of damages that can be awarded in a personal injury case:
- Medical Expenses: If you’re the victim of a pedestrian accident, you may be eligible for medical expenses. You can recover the money you spend on hospital visits and medications.
- Lost Wages: This covers the amount of money you lost due to your inability to work after getting injured in a pedestrian accident.
- Property Damage: You may be eligible to be compensated for any property that got damaged during a pedestrian accident.
- Pain and Suffering: If you’re the victim of a pedestrian accident, you may be eligible for pain and suffering damages. These damages can cover things like physical pain and mental anguish.
- Punitive Damages: If the driver was grossly negligent or was at fault in causing your injuries, you may be eligible for punitive damages in your personal injury case. Punitive damages are awarded to punish the driver and deter them from making similar mistakes in the future.
When filing a personal injury lawsuit, it is important to have an experienced Kansas City pedestrian accident attorney. Our experienced Kansas personal injury attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you file your personal injury claim and ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact our experienced pedestrian accident lawyers today for a free consultation to learn more about your legal options.
Benefits of Hiring a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, it’s important to contact a lawyer who is skilled in pedestrian accident law as soon as possible. A pedestrian accident lawyer can help you file a claim and get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Some of the benefits of hiring a pedestrian accident lawyer include:
- They will handle all of the paperwork and negotiations with the insurance company.
- They can help you get the medical care and treatment you need.
- They can help you recover lost wages and other damages.
- They have extensive knowledge of the law and will fight for your rights.
- They will help you get a fair settlement.
- They are highly skilled in their field and will make sure you get the right compensation.
- They can help you get your life back on track and make sure that you take care of yourself and your family.
Questions to Ask a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been involved in a pedestrian accident, you must speak to a lawyer as soon as possible. A pedestrian accident lawyer can advise you on your legal options and help you file a compensation claim.
When choosing a lawyer, it’s important to ask the right questions. Here are some questions to ask a pedestrian accident lawyer:
- What experience do you have with pedestrian accident cases?
- What is your success rate in these cases?
- How would you approach my case?
- What are the likely outcomes of my case?
- How long will the case take?
- What are the costs involved?
- Will I have to go to court?
- Can you provide me with references or testimonials from past clients?
FAQs About Pedestrian Accident Cases
Pedestrian accidents can be serious and often result in serious injuries. If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may have questions about what to do next. That’s where our Kansas pedestrian accident lawyers come in.
We’ve put together a list of the most frequently asked questions about pedestrian accident cases to help you understand your rights and what steps you need to take next.
Q: What is the statute of limitations for filing a pedestrian accident lawsuit in Kansas?
A: Kansas has a two-year statute of limitations for filing suits regarding injuries resulting from a pedestrian accident.
Q: Who can be held liable in the event of a pedestrian accident?
A: In most cases, the driver or vehicle operator who causes an injury in connection with an automobile or truck collision can be held liable. This is true even if this person was not at fault. The owner of the vehicle that caused the accident can also be held liable.
Q: What if the driver who hit me was uninsured?
A: In Kansas, if a driver is uninsured, the injured person can still recover damages.
Q: What happens if my claim is denied?
A: If your claim is denied after you file it with us, we will work with our Kansas lawyers on appeal, and we will pursue your case until we prevail or obtain payment for you from someone else responsible for causing your injury and losses.
Q: How much does it cost to file a pedestrian accident lawsuit in Kansas?
A: At Peterson & Associates, P.C., we operate on a contingency-fee-basis, which means that you do not have to pay us until we win your case.
Q: How much settlement can I receive after a pedestrian accident?
A: If you are awarded a settlement for your injuries and losses in a pedestrian accident, it will be based on factors such as the severity of your injuries, the effects of your injuries on your life, and the losses you suffered due to the injury.
Speak to a Kansas Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need to contact a Kansas pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Peterson & Associates, we can help you get the compensation and justice you deserve for your injuries. We have years of experience dealing with insurance companies and personal injury lawsuits.
Contact a Kansas pedestrian accident lawyer by calling 816-888-8888 for a free consultation. Our lawyers are ready to help you recover compensation while you focus on recovering from your injuries.