Motorcycle accidents in Springfield can lead to severe injuries. If you’ve been in one, you should contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Peterson & Associates, P.C., we have a team of skilled motorcycle accident attorneys who are dedicated to helping individuals who have sustained injuries get the compensation and justice they deserve.
We understand the severity of these accidents and are committed to helping you through this difficult time. We have helped many victims of motorcycle accidents obtain the maximum compensation possible. We’ll work tirelessly to get you the money you need to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
If you’ve been in a severe motorcycle crash in Springfield, don’t hesitate to contact an attorney at our Springfield personal injury law office for a free consultation today. We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions and help you get the relief you deserve.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Every year, thousands of motorcycles are involved in accidents with passenger vehicles. In some cases, the driver of the car is at fault. In others, the motorcyclist is at fault.
Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Springfield include:
- Speeding: One of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Springfield is speeding. Riders often try to take curves and bends in the road too quickly, which can lead to losing control of their bike. Excessive speed can also make it difficult to brake in time or react adequately to sudden obstacles or hazards on the road.
- Road Conditions: Poor road conditions are one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents. Whether it’s a pothole, a piece of debris on the road, or wet pavement, these hazards can cause a motorcyclist to lose control and crash. Riders must be aware of these dangers and take extra precautions when riding in adverse conditions.
- Bad Weather: Motorcycle accidents can happen for various reasons, but one of the most common causes is bad weather. When the roads are wet, icy, or snowy, it can be difficult for motorcycles to stay upright.
- Poorly Maintained Motorcycle: A motorcycle that’s not properly serviced can be difficult to control and can increase the risk of an accident. Some of the more essential maintenance tasks that need to be done regularly are checking the oil level, tire pressure, and brakes. It’s also essential to ensure that all of the bolts and screws on your motorcycle are tight and that the wiring is in good condition. Regular maintenance will help ensure that your bike is safe to ride.
- Lack of Experience: One of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Springfield is lack of experience. Riders who are new to the sport may not be aware of the dangers and hazards that come with riding a motorcycle. As a result, they may make careless mistakes that lead to accidents.
- Distracted Driving: When you’re behind the wheel of a car, it’s easy to get distracted by things like your phone or the radio. However, when driving a motorcycle, distractions can be even more dangerous because you’re much less protected than in a car. Common distractions for motorcyclists include things like talking on the phone, texting, eating, and drinking. Unfortunately, these things often lead to accidents. That’s why it’s so important to be aware of the dangers of distracted driving and always stay focused when you’re on a motorcycle.
- Drunk Driving: Drunk driving is one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents. When you’re impaired, your reflexes are slowed down, and your judgment is impacted, which can lead to severe accidents. In Missouri, operating a motorcycle or any other vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal. If you are caught driving drunk, you will face severe penalties, including jail time, fines, and license suspension.
If you’re involved in a motorcycle wreck in Springfield, you need to seek medical attention immediately and contact our Springfield personal injury law firm to discuss your legal options.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Riding on a motorcycle comes with the risk of being involved in an accident. These accidents can lead to catastrophic injuries. Some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries in Springfield include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are one of the common types of injuries that occur during motorcycle accidents in Springfield. Head injuries occur even when riders are wearing helmets. These injuries can range from mild concussions to severe brain injuries. These can be serious and life-altering and often require extensive medical treatment.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are one of the most common and debilitating injuries that can occur during a motorcycle accident. The spinal cord is responsible for sending messages from the brain to the rest of the body, and when it’s injured, it can cause paralysis or loss of feeling in certain areas.
- Broken Bones: One of the most common injuries victims of motorcycle accidents in Springfield suffer is broken bones. This can be from the impact of the accident itself or flying debris. Broken bones can take a long time to heal, often requiring surgery and extensive rehabilitation. They can also lead to long-term disability, making it difficult for the victim to return to work or lead a normal life.
- Road Rash: Motorcycle accidents can result in various injuries, some of which are more common than others. A common injury is road rash, which occurs when a rider is thrown from their bike and their skin comes into contact with the asphalt or concrete. The resulting friction can cause the skin to tear, leading to intense pain, swelling, and potential infection. If you’re involved in a motorcycle accident, it’s important to seek medical attention right away. Treatment for road rash may include antibiotics to prevent infection, pain medication, and dressings to keep the wound clean and protected.
- Internal Injuries: One of the most dangerous aspects of motorcycle accidents is that they often result in internal injuries. These can be difficult to diagnose and treat and can often be fatal. Some of the most common internal injuries victims of motorcycle accidents sustain include internal bleeding, broken ribs, chest injuries, organ damage, and abdominal injuries.
- Amputations: One of the most common injuries victims of motorcycle accidents in Springfield sustain is an amputation. Amputations can occur when a motorcyclist is thrown from their bike and lands on an object that severs their limb or when they’re run over by another vehicle. Amputations are life-changing injuries that require extensive rehabilitation and may require the victim to use a prosthetic limb for the rest of their life. If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident, it’s important to get the medical care you need immediately. You should also contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you explore your legal options.
- Neck Injuries: Motorcycle accidents can cause various injuries, some of which are more common than others. One such injury is a neck injury. The force of the impact can cause the head and neck to jerk forward and backward, resulting in strains, sprains, or even fractures.
It is important to seek legal assistance immediately after an accident to protect your rights. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Springfield can help you navigate the complex legal process and get the compensation you deserve.
Compensation Available to Victims of Motorcycle Accidents
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident in Springfield, you may be eligible for compensation. Some common types of compensation that may be available to you include:
- Lost Wages: If you’re injured in a motorcycle accident in Springfield, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses. This could include reimbursement for your lost wages. However, recovering compensation for lost wages can be tricky, and it’s vital to have an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side. The lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. have years of experience representing accident victims, and we know how to get the best results for our clients.
- Medical Bills: If you’re involved in a motorcycle accident in Springfield, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills. In most cases, the negligent party is responsible for paying your medical expenses, regardless of who was at fault for the accident. This includes both current and future medical bills related to the accident. You may also be eligible for reimbursement for any travel expenses related to your treatment.
- Property Damage: If you are involved in a motorcycle accident in Springfield, you may be able to collect compensation for property damage. This includes damage to your motorcycle and any other property that was damaged as a result of the accident.
- Pain and Suffering: If you’ve sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering. This is a form of damage that can help you pay for your medical bills and compensate you for the physical and emotional anguish you’ve endured. A few factors will be taken into account when assessing your pain and suffering, including the severity of your injuries, how long they lasted, and whether you required treatment.
- Loss of Consortium: Loss of consortium is a legal term that refers to the loss of companionship and relations between husband and wife. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident and can no longer have normal marital relations with your spouse, you may be able to file a claim for loss of consortium.
Other types of compensation that may be available to motorcycle accident victims in Springfield include:
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages
If you’ve sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident, you may be eligible for compensation to help cover your medical expenses and other damages. Contact a Springfield motorcycle accident lawyer today to learn more about your rights and what steps to take next.
What to Do if You’ve Been Involved in a Motorcycle Accident?
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, there are steps you can take to protect yourself and your legal rights. Some of these steps include:
- Check for injuries and call for help if necessary.
- Move your bike to the side of the road if it’s safe.
- Exchange information with the other driver. This includes name, address, phone number, and insurance information.
- Notify your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Seek legal assistance from a Springfield motorcycle accident lawyer.
How Long Do You Have to File a Claim?
In Springfield, Missouri, you have limited time to file a claim. The deadline to file a claim is five years from the date of the accident. However, it’s always best to speak with an attorney to determine exactly how much time you have.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident in Missouri, you must contact a Springfield motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. There are different laws governing motorcycle accidents, so it’s vital to seek legal advice as soon as possible.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer?
Motorcycle accidents can be hazardous. If you’re not injured in the accident itself, you could end up with serious injuries later on due to the accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Missouri, you need the help of an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. A lawyer will ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Dealing with the insurance company can be incredibly frustrating. They may try to blame you for the accident or offer you a fraction of what your injuries are worth. A lawyer will protect your interests and ensure you’re treated fairly.
A lawyer can also help with any legal issues arising from the accident. This includes negotiating with the other driver’s insurance company and filing a lawsuit if necessary.
Our lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. have the skills and resources to help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact our motorcycle accident lawyers in Springfield to discuss your case now.
Contact a Springfield Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Our attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle crash. We have the experience and resources to handle your case, and we’ll fight to get you the compensation you deserve. We understand that this is a difficult time, and we’ll do everything we can to make the process as easy as possible for you. We’ll handle all the paperwork and negotiations with the insurance company, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries. Contact a Springfield motorcycle accident lawyer at our law office by calling 816-888-8888 for a free consultation today.