The Rights of Victims and How We Protect You After an Injury
Individuals spend their entire lives, never thinking that something will go wrong and that they’ll sustain a serious injury. We do daily tasks thinking that we’re safe from harm. However, there are a number of dangers that can increase the risk of serious injuries to individuals all over.
It’s an unfortunate situation, but there are a number of potential causes of serious accidents, all of which can leave the victim dealing with severe injuries. Even worse, most of the time, these situations are preventable.
In personal injury law, the injuries are caused by the negligence of one party, which causes harm to another or multiple individuals. These negligent individuals should be held accountable for their reckless actions.
What are Causes of Injuries?
Despite the fact that drivers, companies, and other parties claim to be safe, there are some situations where negligence comes into play and can cause an accident. These are some of the most common causes of accidents and subsequent injuries.
- Motor vehicle accidents: These are some of the most serious crashes because they can involve cars, motorcycles, large commercial trucks, and more. Typically, they’re caused by distracted driving, reckless driving, or fatigued driving.
- Product liability: We expect the items we buy from stores to be safe when used as directed. This doesn’t always happen. Whether they are caused by defective design, defective manufacturing, or failure to warn, products may be harmful to consumers.
- Medical negligence: In some cases, it is the medical professional we are supposed to trust who make a mistake and the result is serious harm to the patient. Surgical errors, misdiagnosis, and other issues can be dangerous and patients should be sure to choose the right medical provider.
- Nursing home abuse: When we have our elderly loved ones in a nursing home, there has to be some trust there that the staff will care for your relative correctly. Due to understaffed facilities or simply because the staff doesn’t care, there can be injuries caused as a result of abuse or neglect in a nursing home.
When negligence exists, this means the individual was either not paying attention or showed no care for the safety of others. They should be held accountable for these actions.
What Rights Do Victims Have?
When negligence is involved in an accident that results in serious injuries, there are various rights that victims have in order to hold the responsible party accountable. Depending on the situation involved, victims may be able to seek compensation for the injuries sustained.
Compensation is important, but taking legal action against a negligent party is also about seeking justice. This means promoting some kind of change, preventing the responsible party from acting in negligence again in the future.
There are so many factors that go into a personal injury case that it’s important for you to take the necessary steps to seeking legal action. In order to protect your own potential case, there are certain steps you should take after sustaining an injury:
- Be sure to get contact information of the negligent party
- See if there are any witnesses who can help attest to the other party’s reckless actions
- Get reports—whether police or medical—that can be used as evidence in your case
- Seek medical attention; you need to get treatment as quickly as you can
One of the most important steps to take after an accident is to get legal representation. This is one way that you want to protect your rights and keep others from taking advantage of you throughout the legal process.
Learn How Our Kansas City Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You
When it comes to personal injury cases, there are a number of things that must be considered by a victim. These are difficult matters and having a Kansas City personal injury attorney may make all of the difference in your case.
Here are some ways that our firm can help protect you through the entire process:
Determining Whether to Settle or Go to Trial
After an injury, the defendant’s insurance company is determined to look out for their own profit and protect their bottom line. As such, they’ll offer a settlement to you in order to lessen the impact of the compensation you may be owed.
A settlement is often much less than most injured individuals can receive if they go to trial. We help determine whether or not you should accept the settlement or go to trial.
Protection from Large Insurance Companies
Typically, insurance companies are backed by large legal teams that are focused on minimizing the impact of your claim. This means often trying to turn the tables, making you at fault or claiming that your injuries are not as severe as they actually are. Hiring us puts legal professionals on your side to help you combat these claims by the opposition.
At Peterson & Associates, P.C., our team is committed to representing injured individuals in a wide range of cases. We aim to protect the rights and options of our clients with a focus on obtaining the most favorable outcome possible.
We recognize how serious it can be to sustain an injury due to someone else’s negligent and reckless actions. When you call us, you can be sure we’re working hard to build a strong case on your behalf in order to seek compensation and justice for you.
If you have suffered a serious injury due to someone else’s actions, know that we have your back. You can speak with our team in a free consultation to better understand what can be done in your situation and whether or not we can represent you.
Call us today at (816) 298-8708 and speak with our experienced legal team about your potential case.