Peterson & Associates, P.C.

Our Blog

Liberty, MO – Two Injured in Two-Vehicle Crash on I-35 near MM 15.6

Categorized as Auto Accidents, Personal Injury

Liberty, MO (November 6, 2022) – A traffic incident took place in Clay County that left two people injured. On November 2, the Missouri State Highway Patrol responded to a crash on Interstate 35.

According to local law enforcement, at around 1130 p.m., a collision between a 2005 Jeep grand Cherokee and a 1995 Honda Civic occurred on the southbound side of Interstate 35. The reports show that the Jeep crashed into the rear of the Honda near mile marker 15.6. Both vehicles suffered moderate damage due to the crash.

Two people in the Honda, 51-year-old Venita Mustafa and 73-year-old Elizabeth Rocha, were both injured. Rocha was transported by ambulance to North Kansas City Hospital, where she underwent further care.

The crash remains under investigation at this time.

We hope Venita Mustafa and Elizabeth Rocha recover quickly following this accident.

Car Accidents in Missouri

Liberty, MO – Two Injured in Two-Vehicle Crash on I-35 near MM 15.6A traffic accident can impact your life forever. In an instant, you could be forced to deal with overwhelming, painful physical and emotional injuries. Unfortunately, many victims suffer financial consequences as well. When victims are injured in accidents due to the negligence of others, they are able to file personal injury lawsuits against them to recover compensation for their damages.

Missouri is one of a handful of states that follow the pure comparative negligence rule when it comes to car accidents. This means that if you are involved in an accident, you can still recover compensation for your damages from the defendant even if you are primarily at fault for the accident. However, each party is assigned a percentage of fault for the accident, and damages are then awarded accordingly.

For example, if you are involved in a car accident where the other driver is at fault. However, you were not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident and suffered injuries as a result. The jury may find that you are 20% at fault for the accident due to your failure to wear a seatbelt, and the other driver is 80% at fault. This means that you would only be able to recover 80% of your damages from the other driver.

The pure comparative negligence rule takes things one step further. Under this rule, even if you are found to be 99% at fault for an accident, you can still recover damages from the other driver so long as they are 1% at fault.

If you have been involved in a car accident in Missouri, it is important to speak with a Liberty car accident attorney who can help you understand your rights and the legal options available.

Our personal injury lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. have extensive experience helping injured parties seek financial compensation for their damages. Following our crash, we will prove that the defendant is at fault and demand timely compensation for your medical costs and more. Contact our team today at 816-888-8888 to get started.

Note: Our team of writers utilized secondary sources in the creation of this accident post. For that reason, the specifics regarding this accident have not been independently fact-checked and verified by our writing staff. If you locate any information that is not accurate, please notify us immediately so that we can update the post to reflect the most accurate information available. If you would like the post to be removed from our site, please let us know and we will do our best to remove it completely.

Disclaimer: As a well-respected member of the Kansas City, Missouri business community, Peterson & Associates, P.C. is always looking to increase the safety of and bring overall safety for all Missouri residents. We hope that by bringing awareness to the dangers associated with driving that people will exercise additional caution when operating a motor vehicle and avoid being injured in a serious crash. This post is not intended to be a solicitation for business. This post should not be misconstrued as medical or legal advice. The photos depicted in this post are not representative of the actual accident scene.