Warrensburg, MO (October 10, 2022) – A traffic collision took place in Johnson County that resulted in a 49-year-old woman being injured. On October 7, troopers with the Missouri State Highway Patrol received a notification that a collision took place on Missouri State Route 13 that required attention.
According to reports provided by trooper JD Hood, at around 5:07 p.m., a 2005 Ford F1 50 pickup truck turned in front of a 2017 Toyota Camry on Missouri State Route 13 just north of Northwest 875th Road. As a result, the two vehicles collided. The impact of the crash caused the Toyota to crash head-on with a 2021 Ford F1 50 pickup truck. All three vehicles were totaled in the accident.
The driver of the Toyota, 49-year-old Dawn Shipman, was injured in the crash. Shipman, who is from Warrensburg, Missouri, was transported to Western Missouri Medical Center, where she was treated for her injuries.
The crash remains under investigation at this time.
Our thoughts are with Dawn Shipman as we hope for her speedy recovery.
Car Accidents in Missouri
Crashes take place every day that result in injuries. These incidents add up to tens of thousands of people being harmed as a result of crashes in our state each year. Many accidents are caused by drivers engaging in negligent actions. In Missouri, the leading causes of car crashes are:
- Distracted driving: This is when a driver is not paying attention to the road because they are doing something else, like talking on the phone or eating.
- Speeding: Speeding is when a driver goes too fast for the conditions of the road. This can make it hard to stop in time if someone suddenly pulls out in front of you.
- Driving under the influence: This means either being drunk or high while driving. Both impair your ability to drive safely and increase your risk of crashing.
- Fatigued driving: This is when a driver is so tired that they can’t stay awake or focused on the road. It’s important to take breaks if you’re feeling fatigued while driving.
- Weather conditions: Slick roads from rain or snow can make it harder to control your car, and visibility may be decreased in severe weather conditions making it more difficult to see other cars or obstacles on the road.
If another drivers reckless or negligent actions have caused you harm, you may be able to file a personal injury case against them. In Missouri, courts follow the doctrine of pure comparative negligence. This means that if a court finds that you were partially at fault for an accident, the amount of compensation you recover for your damages be reduced by the percentage of fault that you share for the accident. For example, if you are awarded $10,000 in losses and costs but the court finds that you share 20% of the fault for the accident, your award will be reduced to $8,000.
A Warrensburg car accident lawyer can help you better understand your rights moving forward after being harmed. Our lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. can help you understand how much compensation you will be able to recover as a result of your crash. We will meet with you for a free consultation whenever it is convenient to you to discuss your case and the options you have moving forward. Contact our law firm today at 816-888-8888.
Note: Our team of writers utilized secondary sources in the creation of this accident post. For that reason, the specifics regarding this accident have not been independently fact-checked and verified by our writing staff. If you locate any information that is not accurate, please notify us immediately so that we can update the post to reflect the most accurate information available. If you would like the post to be removed from our site, please let us know and we will do our best to remove it completely.
Disclaimer: As a well-respected member of the Kansas City, Missouri business community, Peterson & Associates, P.C. is always looking to increase the safety of and bring overall safety for all Missouri residents. We hope that by bringing awareness to the dangers associated with driving that people will exercise additional caution when operating a motor vehicle and avoid being injured in a serious crash. This post is not intended to be a solicitation for business. This post should not be misconstrued as medical or legal advice. The photos depicted in this post are not representative of the actual accident scene.