Many Kansas residents rely on trucks as a safe and efficient means to transport their goods. Unfortunately, trucking accidents are not uncommon in Kansas.
Truck accidents are often fatal and can cause severe injuries to victims. If you have been injured in a truck accident in Kansas, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries and losses. However, getting compensation after an accident can be challenging.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident in Kansas, the Kansas trucking accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. are here to help you get justice and the maximum compensation available for your claim.
We have decades of experience handling truck accident cases in Kansas. We’ll fight hard to get you the money you need to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Contact our Kansas personal injury law office today for a free consultation.
What is a Truck Accident?
A truck accident usually refers to an accident that involves a large truck or commercial vehicle. These accidents can be severe and often result in serious injuries or death.
According to the Kansas Department of Transportation, there are approximately 2,000 reported truck accidents in the state each year. Of those accidents, nearly 1,000 resulted in injuries, and about 140 were fatal.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a truck accident in Kansas, it’s important to speak with a truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. A qualified truck accident attorney can help you understand your legal options and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Our truck accident lawyers at Peterson & Associates, P.C. are ready to help you fight for justice. We have decades of experience filing truck accident claims for victims of semi-truck crashes in Kansas. Contact us for a free case evaluation today.
Causes of Truck Accidents in Kansas
There can be many causes of truck accidents in Kansas. Some of the most common include:
- Driver Fatigue: Truck drivers who are fatigued while driving may make mistakes, leading to severe accidents caused by speeding and following too closely behind other vehicles. Tired drivers also tend to drive more aggressively than usual and may go faster than they should, which may increase the risk of truck accidents.
- Lack of Maintenance: Trucking companies require regular maintenance and upkeep of their vehicles to ensure they are safe for operation on the roads. If trucks are not maintained properly, they could be responsible for causing a severe accident on a highway in Kansas.
- Driver Negligence: Negligent behavior by truck drivers may contribute to serious road accident injuries or fatalities, including those caused by speeding, following too closely behind other vehicles, failure to yield at intersections, or excessive load on their trucks. These incidents often result from driver negligence, such as texting or failing to pay attention while driving trucks on high-traffic highways.
- Poor Driving Habits: Bad driving habits can lead to different types of truck accidents. Speeding, driving while intoxicated, or not paying attention can all result in severe crashes and injuries.
- Following Too Closely Behind Another Vehicle: Following too closely behind another vehicle is a common cause of truck accidents in Kansas. This type of accident often results in serious injury or death and is the leading cause of road fatalities in Kansas.
- Lack of Roadside Safety Devices: Roadside safety devices are important for drivers to use when driving on the highway. These devices include seat belts, airbags, tire pressure monitors, turn signals, and more to help prevent collisions between vehicles on the roadways.
The most important thing you can do after a crash is to seek medical attention as soon as possible, so your injuries do not worsen or become worse than they already are. You should also contact an experienced Kansas trucking accident attorney to help you understand your legal options.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Truck accidents can cause various injuries, some of which are more common than others. Some of the most common truck accident injuries include:
- Head and Brain Injuries: Truck accidents can cause head and brain injuries. These injuries can range from mild to life-threatening and can cause long-term damage.
- Neck and Spine Injuries: The sudden stop or movement during a truck accident can cause neck and spine injuries. These injuries can be painful and may require surgery or long-term treatment.
- Back Injuries: Truck accidents can also cause back injuries, which can be very difficult to treat and may require surgery.
- Internal Injuries: Internal injuries can occur during truck accidents. One of the most common internal injuries during truck accidents in Kansas is organ damage, which can be life-threatening.
Types of Compensation Available to Truck Accident Victims in Kansas
You may be entitled to various compensations if you’ve been injured in a truck accident caused by a negligent truck driver in Kansas. These can include:
- Medical Expenses: You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, hospital stays, medication, and rehabilitative care.
- Lost Wages: If you were unable to work due to your injuries, Kansas truck accident victims might be entitled to lost wages. This is intended to compensate you for any lost wages which result from your inability to work due to physical limitations caused by the accident. These limitations may include restrictions on lifting heavy objects, difficulty walking long distances, etc.
- Pain and Suffering: Pain and suffering damages can also be awarded in certain situations. This type of compensation is intended to compensate you for the pain and suffering resulting from your injuries and your medical expenses. The amount of these losses will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and any pre-existing health conditions you suffered before being injured in the accident.
- Property Damage: You may also be entitled to recover compensation for damage to your property. If your vehicle was damaged during a truck accident caused by a negligent driver, you can collect damages for the cost of repairing damage to your vehicle.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are awarded to punish a defendant for wrongdoing. They are meant to deter the defendant from committing future violations of the law. Punitive damages can be used to punish a driver for their reckless driving, dangerous driving, or other wrongful conduct.
To find out if you’re eligible for compensation, it’s important to speak with a knowledgeable Kansas truck accident lawyer. They can help you file a claim and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
Contact our truck accident attorneys at Peterson & Associates, P.C. today to get started on your truck accident case.
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Truck Accident Claim in Kansas
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Kansas, it’s important to understand your rights and the statute of limitations for filing a claim. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Kansas is two years. This means you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
If you’ve lost a loved one in a truck accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The statute of limitations for wrongful death claims in Kansas is also two years.
It’s important to contact an experienced truck accident lawyer immediately after an accident so they can start investigating and working on your case.
Benefits of Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you may be wondering if you need a truck accident lawyer. The answer is yes. You need a lawyer on your side. Here are a few reasons why:
A lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve. Trucking companies have teams of lawyers working for them, and they won’t hesitate to fight tooth and nail to avoid paying out. With an experienced lawyer, you’ll have someone who knows the law and can help you get the money you need to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
A lawyer can help you get justice. Too often, trucking companies try to sweep accidents under the rug and blame the victim. With a lawyer, you can fight back and ensure the company is held accountable for its actions.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, don’t wait–contact a Kansas trucking accident lawyer today for a free consultation.
How to Find the Right Truck Accident Attorney for My Case
When finding the right truck accident attorney for your case, research is important. It would help if you had an attorney who understands the complex laws surrounding truck accidents and has the experience and resources to fight for you. Hiring the right truck accident lawyer will ensure you have a high chance of winning your truck accident claim.
Here are a few tips for finding the right truck accident lawyer:
- Do your research. Look for a law firm with experience in truck accident law.
- Ask around. Talk to family and friends who may have had a truck accident and used an attorney.
- Get a free consultation. Many law firms offer free consultations so you can meet with a lawyer and discuss your case.
- Trust your gut. When you meet with an attorney, trust your gut instinct. If you feel like the attorney isn’t a good fit, move on and find someone else.
Questions to Ask a Truck Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been involved in a trucking accident, it’s important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. A Kansas truck accident lawyer can help you understand your legal options and guide you through filing a claim.
However, not all lawyers are created equal. Here are some questions to ask before choosing a lawyer:
- Do you handle trucking accident cases?
- How many trucking accident cases do you handle in a year?
- How much experience do you have handling trucking accident claims?
- Do you have a website where I can find information about your firm?
- What is the average settlement amount for your clients?
- How will you help me win my case?
- What are your fees and payment structure?
- Will you be available to answer my questions?
- How long will it take for my case to be resolved?
- What can I expect from the process?
- What kind of damages am I eligible for?
- How can I protect my rights?
FAQs About Truck Accident Cases
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you may have many questions about what to do next. We’ve put together a list of the most frequently asked questions about truck accident cases to help you understand your legal options.
Q: How much settlement will I get from my case?
A: There is no formula for determining the compensation you will receive after a truck accident. However, the compensation you can receive will depend on factors such as the severity of your injuries, the effect of your injuries on your life, and the damages incurred due to the accident.
Q: How much time should I spend with my lawyer?
A: You should spend at least one hour with your lawyer to understand what options are available to you and how they will affect your case.
Q: What should I expect from my lawyer?
A: Your lawyer will communicate with you about your case and help you understand what is happening. They will also explain the legal process, advise you on your options, and provide support throughout the process.
Q: How do I know if I’m eligible for compensation?
A: By law, people who are hurt in car accidents can be compensated for their injuries. The amount of compensation depends on many factors, but generally speaking, it will be based on the extent of your injuries and any property damage that resulted from the accident. If someone else is at fault, they may also be liable for any damages caused by their negligence. Our lawyers can help determine whether someone else is at fault and whether they should pay restitution to compensate you for your losses.
Q: What kind of damages am I eligible for in a truck accident case?
A: You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, physical therapy expenses, property damage, and more. Our lawyers can help you determine what you are entitled to in a case like this.
Contact a Kansas Truck Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been involved in a trucking accident, you need to contact a Kansas trucking accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Peterson & Associates, P.C., we can help you get the compensation and justice you deserve. Contact a Kansas truck accident lawyer at Peterson & Associates, P.C., by calling 816-888-8888.