Distracted Driving is Still a Problem
While driving errors can happen in many different ways, distracted driving behaviors are the leading causes of car accidents. According to statistics reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2018, 2,841 people lost their lives in crashes involving distracted drivers. Here are the facts on how distracted drivers impact safety on the road.
Causes of Driver Error
There are many ways drivers can make mistakes on the road, causing severe fatal accidents. Distracted driving is the number one cause of driver errors. Distracted driving means that a driver’s attention is taken off the road leaving them vulnerable to driving errors.
The most common driving distractions include:
- Texting/ talking on the phone while driving
- Eating or drinking while driving
- Tending to passengers while driving, such as children in the backseat
- Changing the radio station
- Plugging in information to a navigation system
- Grooming while driving (combing hair or putting on makeup)
Putting Texting While Driving Into Perspective
Texting while driving is dangerous driving behavior. Here’s an exercise to exemplify the dangers of texting and driving:
Imagine you are traveling at 55 MPH. Now, close your eyes and count up to 5 seconds. When you open your eyes, know that you just drove the length of an entire football field with your eyes closed. In reality, if you were traveling behind another vehicle, and that vehicle brakes or stops short, there wouldn’t be enough time to stop, and the result could be a severe crash.
Driver Error Statistics
Here are some alarming statistics from 2018 related to distracted driving crashes:
- 8% of fatal crashes were reported as affected by distraction.
- 15% of injury crashes were reported as affected by distraction
- 400,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers
- The age group of 15 to 19 years olds was the largest proportion of drivers involved in distracted driving crash fatalities.
- 506 non-occupants were killed in distracted driving traffic accidents (pedestrians, bicyclists, and others)
Hurt in a Car Accident? We Can Help.
When a car crash causes you to sustain serious injuries, it’s undoubtedly a frightening experience — and not knowing what to do next can make it that much more scary and stressful. Know that you are not alone. is here to help you get through a difficult time. When insurance companies use tactics to dole out low settlements, we’ll fight hard to bring you the maximum compensation you deserve. Our experienced attorneys are here to answer all your questions and guide you through the process.
Call Peterson & Associates, P.C. today at 816-888-8888 to speak with an attorney about your potential case. We are offering consultations via phone, email, and video conferencing for your convenience.